Living with varicose veins is itself a trauma for some people. Walking with those bulging twisted veins is not what most people prefer because they look bad and people also feel as if their legs have become heavy. But like any other ailment in the body varicose veins also occur in people because of many reasons. It is believed that varicose veins often run in families and some hereditary components might be linked to it. Men are less likely to get affected by varicose veins. Around 50 percent of cases are related to women because studies suggested that factors like hormonal change, pregnancy, puberty, menopause, HRT, and intake of birth control pills are some reasons that are linked with varicose veins in women.
Varicose veins have a one-way valve that functions to flow blood toward the heart but when this valve fails the blood back up and pools in the veins making it look swollen or bulgy. It’s a bodily process and can happen to anybody. So don’t panic if you start to see two-three swollen veins on your legs, instead go for a diagnosis because it will help your doctor to verify the concentration of varicose veins in your body. The doctor will do a physical exam just like any routine checkup and will ask you if you feel some sort of pain or aching in your legs. If there is a necessity then the doctor may go for an ultrasound test to check if your veins are working properly or some clot is there. Another way the doctor uses to diagnose the intensity of your varicose veins is by using a device called a transducer.
Treatment for Non-Severe Varicose Veins:
1. Treatment for varicose veins is not a major one and doesn’t require you to stay at the hospital for too long. The less invasive procedures can be treated on an outpatient basis.
2. You can manage varicose veins by self-care. Doing regular exercise, elevating legs, avoiding long periods sitting or standing can help you ease your pain to a great extent. Also, avoid wearing tight clothes help you prevent varicose veins from getting worse in the long run.
3. Another result-oriented way is to wear a compression stocking. The compression stockings squeeze your legs and make sure that your veins and leg muscles are moving the blood as they should. If you are not sure about the compression stocking you can get the prescription from your doctor. Compression stocking is available at most pharmacies.
4. Using varicose veins cream is also considered to provide instant relief from aching legs. Varicose veins cream tends to soothe the soreness and discomfort of the legs. It cools and relieves heavy and tired legs. Varicose veins cream make people feel their legless heavy and reduce the symptoms of swelling.
Treatments for Severe-Varicose Veins:
When the condition of your varicose veins is more severe, then your doctor might use any of the below-mentioned procedures to treat your varicose veins.
- Endoscopic vein surgery
- High ligation and vein stripping
- Laser treatment
- Ambulatory phlebectomy
- Catheter-assisted treatment with the help of laser energy or radiofrequency