Go To Cereal List
- Puffed Kamut/Rice/Millet
- Shredded Wheat
- Corn Flakes
- Rice Krispies
- OATS – organic is great, you can save a lot of $ by buying in bulk at Whole Foods or any health food store in the big bins they have
- PUFFED KAMUT/RICE/MILLET – Arrowhead Mills and Nature’s Path both have great lines…THESE ARE LITERALLY MY FAVOURITE because that is the only ingredient NOTHING ELSE ADDED!!
- QUINOA – not normally thought of as a breakfast cereal is actually a really fun and different option, and delicious – again you can buy in bulk at Whole Foods or any health food store
- SHREDDED WHEAT – yes ideally orgnic would be great, but Post/Barbara’s/Arrowhead Mills/Whole Foods and most grocery stores have generic brands that are very cheap and reasonable and have minimal ingredients
- WEETABIX – the Brit in me will forever view this as one of the best breakfast cereals in town!!! They are delicious. Enough said lol. 🙌🏻🙌🏻
- CHEERIOS – REGULAR not honey, are a good option if you want a more standard cereal. You can also find them almost everywhere.
- CORN FLAKES – same goes for corn flakes, and they have a delicious different taste. I was pleasantly suprised that the sugar count is so low. I guess it was all the sugar I used to ADD to it when I was a kid that made it so unhealthy 🤦🏼♀️
- RICE KRISPIES – classic and suprisingly decent on the low sugar count, used to also add heaps of sugar to these, wowza, but yes, straight rice krispies are delicious
How Much Sugar do these Cereals Have?
Amount of Sugar per serving:
- Puffed Kamut = 2C 32g = 0g sugar
- Puffed Rice = 1C 34g = 0g sugar
- Puffed Millet = 1C 30g = 0g sugar
- Qunioa = 1/2C dry 40g = .4g sugar
- Shredded wheat = 46g = .4g sugar
- Oats = 1/2C dry 40g = 1g sugar
- Cheerios = 1C 28g = 1g sugar
- Weetabix = 2 biscuits 38g = 1.7g sugar
- Corn Flakes = 1C 28g = 3g sugar
- Rice Krispies = 1C 33g = 4g sugar
For point of comparison:
- Raisin bran = 1C 30g = 9g sugar *Better alternative is to have regular bran flakes and add the raisins yourself
- Honey Nut Cheerios = 1C 28g = 9g sugar *Better option is to have regular cheerios for just 1g sugar
- Smacks = 1C 27g = 15g sugar *Better option is to have puffed kamut for 0g of sugar and add a sweetener yourself that way you’re at least controlling how sweet to make them
- Fruit Loops = 1C 29g = 12g sugar *Well, I have no words for this, considering there isn’t an ounce of fruit in sight here lol
When do you eat cereal…not at Breakfast?!?
In the AM a better option for longer lasting energy and satiation is something higher in protein and healthy fats and lower in carbs and sugar i.e. eggs bacon avocado toast or sardines avo toast etc.
Surprisingly, I have found that I crave more savory dishes for breakfast now and I prefer to have cereal as an afternoon snack or bedtime treat.
Don’t get me wrong I was and still am a CEREAL ADDICT aka BIG OL’ BOWL as a kid and still today, I just enjoy it at a different time of the day now 🙂
The key is figuring out what works best for you at this point in your life.
I am happy to provide recipe combinations for cereals listed as well as alternative breakfast options that might be better for you.
Just reach out to me [email protected] !
For more tips…
Photo Credit: 1st Hanny Naibaho and 2nd Priscilla du Preez, unsplash
Disclaimer: all links here are to my Amazon Associates account where I receive a small commission if you purchase from the link. Of course you can buy from any local store instead. I just put these links here for convenience sake, and because many folks ask what brand I use and or want a picture to reference when they buy them 🙂
Originally published at www.jessamyindialittle.com