3 min read
Nerves are a massive thing that we all feel from time-to-time and for some of us it’s daily. It’s also so easy to mistake nerves for stress, and it’s also so easy to get into a beautiful calm state of mind if we just know some simple tricks.
There are so many things that can throw us off and stop us from feeling good, traffic, a big meeting, a toxic co-worker, a challenging family member, the weather! All of these things have the power to get us feeling nervous if we allow ourselves to give in to the feelings.
Now, I want to remind you that it is completely normal to feel nervous and it’s completely ok. Nerves are a natural response to perceiving danger – our bodies go into a fight or flight state to handle the ‘danger’. Nowadays though, the dangers we face aren’t life or death and the intense nerves serve no other purpose other than annoyance. I still get nervous before teaching a yoga class, I still get nervous before meeting a new client, I still get nervous driving to a new destination! However, I have learnt to listen to my body, to calm it down and to re-frame the nerves so they empower rather than debilitate.
Here are a few ways in which you can change your nerves into powerful energy and handle them on a day-to-day basis.
Calm your body
- Take a few breaths. Feel your body on your seat or your feet on the floor. Notice the sounds around you. Notice the smells and the temperature of the space you’re in. This is a sure fire way to get in-tune with your body and allow the butterflies in your stomach to fly away.
- Go for a run. Go for a walk. Do some exercise! Even if it’s just a 5 minute burst, it can make all the difference to those nerves.
- Drink water or chew some gum. Whenever we’re eating or drinking, we’re telling our body we are in no danger and our bodies instantly relax.
Calm your mind
- Ask yourself what is the worst that can happen? When I do this, and think of literally the worst thing, I realise I will always survive, I will always have the opportunity to learn and grow from whatever ‘disastrous’ thing could happen and I will always be ok, and you will be too.
- Now, imagine the BEST case scenario. And then imagine some more. And some more. And allow in ALL the possibilities that could happen, what you might see, learn and what other opportunities might come your way. Even the things you can’t imagine will happen and that can be so beautiful. Repeating a mantra or affirmation is also a sure-fire way to reframe the nerves.
Calm your emotions
- Do something that makes you happy. Drink some tea, have a little dance, hug or smile at someone. Re-frame your focus so that you are in an energised place. Do this more and more, prioritise this over anything and everything else because your sanity and happiness matters more than the nerves.
- Get your meditation on! If you haven’t ever tried meditation, or have found yourself hating it because you can’t let go of thoughts, try this one. I created it for over-thinkers and fidgeters so you can still get the goodness of meditation.
Doing all of these things will transform your nerves from fear to excitement and purpose. Let’s start getting more empowered and less nervous!