As a part of my series about “How the most influential people built empires from nothing”, I had the pleasure of interviewing, Jaya Jaya Myra, an internationally acclaimed author, motivational speaker, and creator of the Well Method. After healing herself naturally from debilitating fibromyalgia, Myra developed the Well Method to teach others how to live a healthy, fulfilled and successful life based on each person’s unique elemental composition. Her approach to wellness and purpose shows why one-size-fits-all solutions don’t work for everyone, and how to find what will work for you.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us a story about what events have drawn you to this specific career path.
I believe my entire life’s experiences have led me to where I am today. I always wanted to heal people, ever since I was a child. My mom had a series of health problems, and that helped me understand the importance of wellness, and how a lack of wellness (mind body and soul) can drastically impact people’s lives in a negative way. The in my mid-twenties I faced my own health crisis when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Unfortunately for me, Western medicine didn’t help; in fact, its approach made me worse. Being the determined person I am, I found ways to heal myself completely naturally, and now share this methodology with others to help people get and stay well, and live a purpose driven life.
Can you share your story of Grit and Success? First can you tell us a story about the hard times that you faced when you first started your journey?
I think the story narrated above describes the challenges I faced. I’ve always believed that God makes a way, and that nothing is put on your plate that you can’t deal with. So even when I was horribly unwell, I knew there was a path to health, even if I didn’t know what it was at the time. The hardest thing for me was to keep pushing each and every day, even in the face of uncertainty, and to do all of this when I felt so horribly, physically and emotionally.
Where did you get the drive to continue even though things were so hard?
Rock solid faith in God and myself, and the determination to fulfill my life’s purpose.
So how did Grit lead to your eventual success? How did Grit turn things around?
You have to have grit and tenacity to stay consistent with anything, and consistency is the key to success in all endeavors. That solid willpower is what enables people to succeed, and is what makes you keep pushing forward and taking action, even when it’s challenging to do so.
So, how are things going today? 🙂
Amazing! I’m completely healthy, fully living my purpose and working on achieving bigger dreams. It’s a constant evolution, always growing and becoming a better version of myself so I can more fully help others.
Based on your experience, can you share 5 pieces of advice about how one can develop Grit? (Please share a story or example for each)
1. Have a daily habit doing something you enjoy, that’s just for you. Many people only stay consistent on things they have to do, not things they want to do. When you prioritize your own happiness and pleasure, you retrain your mind in a positive way that builds confidence and gratitude in life. This also enables people to stay consistent, even when doing things they don’t enjoy as much.
2. Wake up daily before sunrise. There lots of evidence that shows waking before sunrise and greeting the rising sun has profound positive effects on your mental state, including increasing willpower and helping people accomplish their goals for that day.
3. Have a daily meditation routine. Meditation helps rest the body, the mind and even our emotions. The more in balance a person is, the easier it is to keep moving forward and be successful.
4. Cultivate the art of self-inquiry. You have to understand what causes you to make the decisions you make. Everything in life is either a reaction or a response. Mindfulness helps us to understand what events in life have caused reaction mechanisms, and how to deal with a situation here and now from a place of conscious choice, and not reaction.
5. Make sure to compliment someone every day. By doing a small, nice thing for someone else, you’ll feel better and boost your mood. The greatest happiness comes from helping others, even when it’s something small. Having a daily habit of doing things for other people helps build our own joy and gratitude towards life, making it much easier to stick the course when things get rough.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped you when things were tough? Can you share a story about that?
I have a dear friend who has always been there to help me succeed, even when things have been rough. That’s meant the world to me. No one becomes successful on their own. There are always other people that help in the journey to success, so it’s important to realize thins and always do what you can to help others.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
I use my social media pages and following as a way to inspire and motivate others to succeed. I’ve written my first book, now published in 10 languages, and am currently working on my second. Everything I do is focused around helping others to succeed, live their purpose, and cultivate wellbeing.
Are you working on any exciting new projects now? How do you think that will help people?
Yes! I’m currently launching two online courses: one, teaching people how to get publicity and build their brand, and the other on my Well Method for purposeful, healthy living. I’m also working on my 2nd book. I think all of this will help people by giving them tools and strategies to be more healthy, to find their purpose, and to build confidence.
What advice would you give to other executives or founders to help their employees to thrive?
To think of wellness as more than checkups and going to the gym. It’s about enabling a well-rounded life that people are happy and proud to live. Doing what you can to motivate and inspire employees to be their best possible self, in and outside of work, will have a more profound impact on company culture and business success than just about anything.
You are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
To inspire people to be uniquely themselves, and to understand that the greatest joy, health and wellbeing comes from working with your own constitution type. There is no one size fits all pill or solution for anything in life. When more people realize this, and embrace their own uniqueness, I believe it will not only help individuals to be more successful, but will help to build and empowered, diverse and tolerant society.
Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
Be the change you want to see in the world. This has always been central to my ideology, in that it’s a waste of time to expect others to be the ones who make change. If there is something I want to see done, I should go out and work towards it myself, because I am the only person in this universe that I can control.
How can our readers follow you on social media?
@JayaJayaMyra on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest.
Thank you so much for joining us. This was very inspirational.