While spirituality can be deﬁned in a wide variety of ways. For many seekers it’s about connecting with something greater than yourself. You might call it God, the universe, spirit, your higher self. Whatever words you choose to describe it, it’s an experience that gives deeper meaning to your daily routines and ordinary actions.
While searching for something sacred can produce dramatic results, the process can be simple. It doesn’t require extensive therapy or taking a year off work to trek through Tibet. Although that would be nice. I have been on a spiritual journey my whole physical life. But it wasn’t until this past year that I was aware of this journey. That awareness came from the sudden loss and pain of loosing my best friend Gloria of 22 years. I remembered my purpose. To connect others to their true authentic self by first connecting to mine.
Embrace the spiritually, starting with where you are now.
The Journey Inward:
1. Accept You. Recognize that you are deserving of love and happiness. Embrace all aspects of yourself. Give gratitude for all efforts and learn to enjoy your own company.
2. Express self-compassion. Examine how you speak to yourself. Always choose uplifting and inspiring words. Forgive yourself for past decisions and learn from those experiences. Treat yourself extra gently when you’re struggling.
3. Set intentions. Plant powerful intentions in your mind. Identify the things that you want more of in your life and what you want to contribute to the world. The energy you put out you get back.
4. Use afﬁrmations. Create empowering statements that strengthen your motivation, boost your energy and raise your vibration. Repeat them throughout the day. Make sure your afﬁrmations are positive, speciﬁc, and written in the present tense.
5. Create rituals. Spend your ﬁrst and last moments of the day cultivating your spiritual side. You could pray, meditate, or list the things that you’re grateful for.
6. Think positively. Express gratitude for all that you do have. Focus on what is working. Look for the miracles throughout the day.
7. Be mindful. Make conscious choices instead of going through life on autopilot. Live in the present moment and not in future. Notice your consistent reactions and ask yourself if there are more creative solutions that you can implement.
The Journey Outward:
1. Slow down. It can be difﬁcult to appreciate life when you are always busy. Pause for a few moments and pay attention to your breathing . Take deep a breath in and out. Focus on one task at a time and discover the joys of being fully present.
2. Be mindful of distractions. Cut down on things that drain your time and provide little satisfaction. Track how much time you spend watching TV or checking social media.
3. Smile and laugh. Spirituality can be fun! Find the humor in challenging situations and be willing to laugh at yourself.
4. Practice self-care. Protect your health and well being. Be mindful of the foods you put in your body. Exercise as best as you can and get some sleep. Manage stress and maintain a healthy work-life balance. If it disturbs you physically, mentally or emotionally it or they must go.
5. Build a community. Reach out to others with similar spiritual interests and values. Participate actively in events and discussions. If you’re looking for new friends, try going to retreats, author talks, or Meetup groups.
6. Find a teacher. Do you feel like you could beneﬁt from some instruction and guidance? Search online for meditation centers and yoga studios where you can ﬁnd someone to work with or ask for referrals. Ask the Universe to place a teacher in your path. Sometimes a teacher can be a book or a movie that presents itself at the right moment.
7. Relationship Building. Nurture strong and supportive relationships with your family, friends, and coworkers. Work on your communication and listening skills. Be generous with sharing your time and resources. Be present and truly listen.
8. Take risks. A spiritual journey involves challenging your self-imposed limitations and embracing the unknown. It may feel uncomfortable as you look deeply into yourself and question your belief system, but the rewards are worth it. This is where the growth happens.
Find meaning and remember your purpose by welcoming a greater sense of spirituality into your life. Changing your daily habits can transform the way you see the world and help you to discover more bliss and mental clarity. Let’s get back to our true authentic self before the world got their hands on us.