Hitting the road for work can be toxic for your body. Sleeping in a strange bed, not having your normal workout routine, and hotel food can all drag down your health. Here’s a few ways you can contribute to your personal wellness in just 15 minutes while you are on the road:
2. STRETCH YOUR BODY: Grab a yoga mat and start your morning by stretching your body. You don’t have to spend a lot of time, just fifteen minutes getting your body ready and your mind focused for the day can start your morning off right.
3. NOURISH: Make sure to give your body fuel for the day. Stick to farm fresh options or food that are prepared in a healthy way from the menu, and stay away from the whipped cream topped French Toast.
4. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN: Don’t leave the good stuff at home. Chances are you might actually have time to do a mask while you are on the road. Flying and extensive travel can wreak havoc on your skin, so don’t wait until you get home to take care of it.
5. BATHE: Chances are your hotel room has a really amazing bathtub. Take some bath salts with you, or a small bottle of bubble bath and relax for a few minutes. You can double up a relaxing bath with a face mask or reading a book, and fit in two wellness activities for the time allotted for one.
6. OPT IN FOR WELLNESS CLASSES: Ask the hotel concierge or the front desk staff for any classes or experiences that they might offer. You might be surprised that you will have access to art, fitness, horseback riding, astronomy, nutrition workshops, and other classes that can elevate your wellness.
7. SWIM: Always pack a swimsuit. After a long flight or drive, jumping in the pool for a few laps is the perfect way to stretch out your body. It will only take a few minutes to feel the effects of a good swim, and your body will thank you.
8. READ: Find a private area or use your hotels reading library, grab a book, and take a few quiet minutes for yourself. Your hotel might have a stash of books, or use your reading app.
9. REFLECT: Take a few minutes to reflect. Read a daily intention, breathe, meditate, just lie down with your eyes closed. When you’re on the road you’ve got plenty of time to think about the things that matter in life, and work on your intentions to make those things (or people) a priority.
10. CONNECT WITH NATURE: Take fifteen minutes, skip the treadmill, and head outside for a walk. If your hotel isn’t in the city proper (and sometimes if it is), you might have access to miles of hiking and walking trails, along with unlimited fresh air. No fancy equipment needed, just some tennis shoes.
Originally published at medium.com