The world could use a little holiday cheer right now.
Ok, maybe more than just a little.
And we can help with that.
Well, we probably can’t help everybody or save the world overnight. But we can intentionally spread some holiday cheer and make the world a little more bright. And if we can cheer up one person’s day, maybe their smile can cheer up one more.
You can make an impact simply by giving the gift of a smile or a happy moment with little random gestures. The best part? It’s so easy to give, costs nothing, and the time you invest does a world of good for happiness. Lets join together, pay it forward, and spread holiday cheer. Here are a few easy ways to make the world brighter:
- Smile at strangers ( I love this one. Smiling is my favorite )
- Leave a large tip
- Pay for the person behind you in line
- Hand write a letter of gratitude and appreciation
- Help someone get active. There’s a coworker or acquaintance in your life who wants to get healthy, but needs a helping hand. Offer to go walking or running together or join a gym together. Check out your local Active activities.
- Call your grandparents / relatives just to say hi.
- Give an authentic compliment to three people.
- If someone you love really likes something (a meal, a favor, etc.) give it to them when they least expect it.
- Create a care package and send it to an active duty military unit.
- In the madness of holiday shopping: make eye contact with the store clerk. Ask about their day. Give them a smile.
- Be compassionate. Ask about people’s stories. Listen. Be a good neighbor.
- Hold the door open for others.
- Introduce yourself. Make new colleagues, classmates, etc. feel welcome.
- Clean out all your old clothes and donate them to someone in need. Your old is someone else’s new.
- Write a positive Yelp review about a local business you like.
- Listen intently to people’s stories without trying to fix everything.
- Donate blood. One pint of blood can save up to three lives.Locate your nearest blood drive.
- Volunteer at a hospital, homeless shelter, nursing home, etc. Get outside of yourself and help others. Check out Volunteer Match.
- Invite someone without local family to your holiday gathering
- Give words of encouragement to someone about their dreams, no matter how big or small they are.
- Surprise a new acquaintance with a gift
- Send flowers or bring one for everyone in your office
- Bake healthy treats and share with a neighbor, colleagues, or fitness instructor.
- Listen to someone’s pain and help them find a path through it.
- Hug a friend. Let them know how important they are.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line or give up your parking spot
- If you have a good book you’ve read that’s just sitting around on a book shelf, give it away to a friend.
- Attend an event for a good cause (like the 10th Anniversary ALIST ‘Passport to the World’ NYE Spectacular )
- Invite someone out for dinner
- Dance. Everywhere.
- Go Christmas caroling
- Forgive someone (or yourself)
- Leave a nice comment on a blog or Facebook post
- Collect and donate prom dresses for underprivileged youth. Check out the Princess Project.
- When you’re eating out, buy an extra meal for a homeless person.
- Stand up for someone. Lend your voice. Often the powerless, the homeless, the neglected in our world need someone to speak up for them.
- Take the time to teach someone a skill you know.
- Decorate your office or work space with festive holiday candles and decorations
- Bring a little thank you gift for the coffee barista, delivery truck man, or local store owners you visit often.
- Teach others how to make a difference in this world by setting a good example every day.
- When someone wants to repay you for something, ask them to pay it forward.
The quickest way to find happiness is to help someone else find theirs. Remember, cheerfulness and love is contagious. We probably can’t change the entire world with these little gestures. But we can still intentionally seek to add life and cheer to the people around us. And as a result, make this world a little more wonderful.
What would you add to the list? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Let’s make this world a little brighter with our love and positive energy.
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and blessed holiday full of health.
Want more tips so you can keep yourself good shape no matter what life brings you next? Check out my new book Balanced Body Breakthrough. There is an entire section of the book dedicated to mental wellbeing with tools, resources, and suggestions to keep your headspace in good shape. Wellness starts in the mind and spirit. Pick up your copy here and help your mind feel better.
Originally published at www.carolinejordanfitness.com on December 22, 2016.
Originally published at medium.com