Most people today are too busy for long workouts at the gym or marathon training runs after work. But with a little planning, it’s not too hard to squeeze an extra five or ten minutes of exercise into one’s daily routine. Here are some easy fitness tips for busy people.
1. START YOUR DAY WITH A WALK, JOG OR BIKE RIDE
Just one lap around the block, either on foot or on a bike, is an easy way to boost the metabolism and get the day off to a good start. It probably won’t even be long enough to break a sweat, so no extra shower time is needed. But it gives the mind a positive boost along with burning some extra calories.
2. EXERCISE ON YOUR LUNCH BREAK
Taking lunch breaks on the go is another easy way to sneak in a little exercise. Walk a few laps around the office or down to the cafe on the corner and back.
3. TAKE A STRETCH BREAK AT YOUR DESK
Instead of heading to the water cooler or coffee maker for every break, it’s just as easy to do a few calisthenics exercises and stretches without even leaving the cubicle. A quick standing hamstring stretch, lower back stretch, quad stretch, and calf stretch sequence only takes 60 seconds total.
4. HIT THE GYM AFTER WORK
There are two secrets to efficient after-work gym workouts:
Always keep a gym bag packed and stowed in the back seat
Join a gym close to home or the office
5. CYCLE OR WALK FOR QUICK ERRANDS
Instead of taking a driving to pick up a loaf of bread, just ride a bike or jog. If it’s only a mile or two away, the total trip won’t take more than 15-20 minutes.
6. KEEP EXERCISE EQUIPMENT WITHIN ARM’S REACH
Lastly, make exercise ridiculously easy. For example:
– Keep a 15 pound dumbbell next to the couch or work desk
– Take the first empty parking stall and walk a little farther
– Take stairs instead of elevators
– Work at a standing desk for a few hours a day