I wouldn’t categorize myself as a millennial. However, by definition, I am a millennial. I am one of the last millennials and the start of the millennial workforce.
I value doing work that matters.
But how do we define what matters? What I’m passionate about probably isn’t what you’re passionate about. The ways I enjoy spending my free time probably aren’t the same ways that you enjoy spending yours. What I love probably isn’t what you love.
And that’s ok!
We are different people, created with different genetic makeups and different DNA. We have different preferences, but I think it’s rooted in human identity to want to be a part of something bigger than ourselves.
The bottom line is: we all want to do something that matters.
So how do we know what matters when we are all different people? Well, I’m so glad you asked here are a few questions to ask yourself to understand if you really are doing something that matters.
1) What are you doing?
– Are you touching people’s lives? Are you making someone’s life better? Are you living a life that makes you pleasant to be around?
2) Why are you doing it?
– If the only reason you are working at your current job is to pay the bills, I feel like there is a certain level of excellence that is missing from your work.
3) Who are you becoming?
– Are you a supporter? What is the one thing in your life that you can look back on every year and see growth (or decline) in? Whatever that thing is, that’s what you are becoming.
4) Who do you want to become?
– So maybe you aren’t a fan of the person you are becoming, what’s one thing you want to change? How can you take the first step towards becoming someone that you want to be?
5) Why do you want to become that?
– Do you want success? How do you define it? Do you want a purpose? What is purposeful? Without understanding the reason why we want to become something we are less likely to actually find ways to get there.
Doing something that matters isn’t about solving world hunger tomorrow. It’s about creating something that will change the culture, which inevitably changes the world. So what are you waiting for?
Do something today that matters.
Maybe you don’t know what to do, that’s okay. Shoot me an email: [email protected] and I’ll share with you a couple of my ideas. Go get em, tiger!