Do you have a dehumidifier at home and you regularly flush the water from the tank down the sink? Perhaps you are wondering if something more useful can be done with the collected water, rather than just discarding it. The answer is: of course it is! You can use the water from the dehumidifier to water your plants or wash your backyard, instead of using clean, potable water for these purposes. In this way you will be giving a very good use to the water from the dehumidifier and you will also be protecting the environment and fresh water sources.
The dehumidifier water extracts from the air through the process of changing humidity from a gase-ous to a liquid state is deionized water. For that reason and although many people wonder if the water collected by the dehumidifier can be drunk, the answer is no.
The reasons are as follows:
- Bacteria or other microorganisms. Distilled water, which has been purified by distillation, is water without impurities and is free of microorganisms. It is produced by boiling water and collecting the condensation vapor in a container. However, the water collected by the dehumidifier has not undergone this previous boiling process, therefore it is not sterile water and may contain bacteria or other microorganisms.
- Heavy metals. Heavy metals are a group of chemical elements that have a high density and are generally toxic to humans. As the dehumidifier water has been in contact with metal parts of the appliance, it is likely that it contains traces of heavy metals.
- You impurities. If the water tank of the dehumidifier is not washed frequently, there may be impurities that, of course, it is not advisable to drink.
So where can I use the water collected in the tank?
- Water the plants and flowers. Use the water in the dehumidifier to water your flowers and plants indoors or in your garden. Avoid watering plants that you are growing to eat for the reasons mentioned above.
- Board. As it does not contain mineral salts, the dehumidifier water is ideal to be used in your iron.
- Fill the windshield washer storage with water. Use the water collected in the dehumidifier in the car’s windshield washer water tank.
How the water is collected in the dehumidifier
The dehumidifier is a device designed to remove moisture from the air. Excess humidity in the air favors the growth of molds, bacteria and other microorganisms in the home. In addition, humidity can also deteriorate wooden furniture and wall coverings, so it is a good idea to get rid of it using a dehumidifier at home.
Air humidity is made up of water in the gase-ous state (vapor). What the dehumidifier does is to condense the water, that is, change its state from gase-ous to liquid , through tubes that are cooled so that the water vapor present in the air condenses in them.
Then the water in liquid form is poured into the storage and accumulates there until it is discarded or reused.
Remember to clean the dehumidifier water tank regularly and according to the instructions in the product user manual so that the water in the tank is always as clean as possible from impurities and bacteria.