According to Wikipedia, a student is someone that someone that attends an educational institute as a learner. In some countries like the United Kingdom, a student is someone that attends a university or secondary school while students of the lower learning institutions are called pupils.
However, in spite of the above definition, the word student is generally used to define anybody that is in ant field of study irrespective of his or her level. If it reaches a case where you need to specify, or you need a particular set of individuals, you can go on to call them pupils.
Importance of reading as a student
In being a student, you’ll have to learn how to read if you are to excel academically. According to Charles W. Elio, ‘Books are the most constant and quietest of friends; the wisest and most accessible of counselors and the most patient of all teachers’.
- Reading enhances the vocabulary of student: Reading of books like novels, newspapers, magazines, posters and other educative materials have been proven to help increase the vocabulary of students. Students can visit sites like the Booksrun website to get daily beneficial books. If you are an instructor or a teacher, you can guide the students into jotting down new words that they encounter on daily basis and then study them; it will help them to learn new things and also enhance their vocabulary. Good vocabularies among students help them write good and impressive assignments and essays.
- It is one of the best ways to enhance general knowledge among students: It exposes the students to good and informative contents. Among the challenges facing education in Africa, lack of qualified teachers in the academic section was among the challenges stated in Information Guide Africa. If the students can be exposed to the informative contents and books themselves, they’ll be able to reach to where their tutors never reached and do more exploits in the academic sector.
- Students can get useful topics and ideas for projects and researches: If you are given an assignment or project to research on, being exposed to many different books can help you solve the assignments easily without having to pay your classmates or stealing other people’s works.
- It can enhance the students writing: Writing is fun if it is your hobby. Reading many books can help you learn how to write very well and who knows, you can become the next biggest author.
- It can help make a student a good orator: If you are good in talking, you’ll be everyone’s friend. Reading many books can help you achieve that. You’ll learn how to speak in a way that people will want to follow choose your decisions over theirs.
The benefits of reading are much that and only a reader can understand it all. Great men like Albert Einstein, Barack Obama, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and others are all great readers.
If you want to live a great life, learn how to read articles and works like novels, journals, newspapers, books and more.