…I used to go to this café on Hollywood Blvd. called Café Audrey. It was a homage to Audrey Hepburn and there were always inspirational quotes on the walls. It’s a different place now but there were a few quotes that really got me. There was one that said “look for beauty, walk with grace and speak with love”. Makes perfect sense to me. The other one said ”all that matters in life is just to be happy”. I have a picture of it actually and I try to live my life according to the quotes.
As a part of my interview series with popular culture stars, I had the pleasure of interviewing Death Metal and Black Metal Goth singer and actress Holly Lowery-Mills.
Thank you so much for joining us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I was actually a Death metal and Black Metal Goth singer at first. I was heavily into music. (Still am.) I was a paid model and worked different jobs in the music industry. I had a modeling contract when I first moved to Hollywood. That didn’t turn out as planned and I was using my modeling money to support my music. Here I was, in an expensive apartment, and what was I to do now? I worked in various jobs, movie theater, music venues, clubs. My friends were actors and actresses they had told me about being an extra or getting involved in cattle calls so I did it! It helped with the bills and I ended up enjoying it.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you started this career?
I got to be on a show that I loved, True Blood. That’s awesome! Once in a middle of a scene I lost my shoe and was lowered to the ground looking for my shoe practically the whole time lol, hoping I wasn’t stepped on.
Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
Yes!!! I love this story. I had my bass player at the time drive to me what I thought was Sony Motion Pictures, to pitch my soundtrack.
I burst in and shoved my CD at this woman. She looks at me shocked, because to our surprise, I really walked onto a set of “Days of our Lives” taping lol!! She looks at me and says, “Do you always walk on cold to a set”?
My reply was “I go for what I want don’t you?” She came back with the correct address and the director’s number lol! I learned that I’m a go getter.
What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you are working on now?
I recently became an author last year. My first book was ghost written and now I have one coming out in my real name. I ran for cover model of Jetset magazine, I’m working on recording an EP and currently selling my music on Itunes. I’ve been on internet radio for a long time and recently I was played on a regular radio station a few times
Also now I’m trying my hand at being a Horror film script writer and assistant director. We will see how that goes, won’t we?
Who are some of the most interesting people you have interacted with? What was that like? Do you have any stories?
I have interacted with a lot but I would say meeting Woody Harrelson when I worked on the Zombieland movie and when I was at the premier.
Which tips would you recommend to your colleagues in your industry to help them to thrive and not “burn out”?
Have fun, but remember it’s work.
You are a person of great influence. If you could start a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. 🙂
There are so many things that people are doing already that I admire.
- I would say choose love no matter the situation.
- Help someone or an animal. All creeds and nations should pull together, even if we don’t have the same idea or see eye to eye. We need to learn to work with each other to make the world better.
- To go within and put ourselves in others moccasins.
- Maybe in some cases compromise.
- I will say I feel strongly against pipelines and destroying burial grounds mostly because I’m of Native American heritage and water is life. But also, nobody should have their ancestors graves destroyed. It’s cruel, those people wouldn’t want it .
What are your “5 things I wish someone told me when I first started” and why. Please share a story or example for each.
- Sacrificing not being able to go home to visit when I needed.
- The amount of work put into it.
- How long it took to take scenes. Sometimes you find yourself in a situation like having to be in water or something, whatever the role calls for. and a for a long period of time. I shot one scene way over 20 times and I was tired! I think you learn patience.
Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
I used to go to this café on Hollywood Blvd. called Café Audrey. It was a homage to Audrey Hepburn and there were always inspirational quotes on the walls. It’s a different place now but there were a few quotes that really got me. There was one that said “look for beauty, walk with grace and speak with love”. Makes perfect sense to me.
The other one said ”all that matters in life is just to be happy”. I have a picture of it actually and I try to live my life according to the quotes.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
- One would be my friend Jacqui Holland Govea. You’re familiar with her obviously. She is an actress and we are both healers in some way. She used to inspire me to keep going. I was around when she did a lot of comedian work as well.
- One of my photographers Howard Levine, who shot my pinup modeling and prop modeling for movie and shows. If it had not been for him, I wouldn’t know about the show True Blood. He sent off some of my music for the soundtrack and some pictures of me and said I did prop modeling. Although it didn’t happen that month, I finally got to be on True Blood because of him and I was very grateful.
- I met Carmen Electra, one of my favorite models. She used to come to the club I was at and one of her photographers worked with me too. Whether she had anything to do with it or not I don’t know but I found that a bit interesting and wondered?
Some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might see this. 🙂
I would like to meet a lot of people such as Gary Oldman ,Wynona Ryder, Selma Hyeck, Johnny Depp. But most of all Al Pacino — we share the same birth date.
How can our readers follow you on social media?
Facebook Holly Lowery-Mills
Youtube Holly Lowery-Mills
Thank you so much for joining us. This was very inspirational!
Your very welcome and no thank you for choosing me I’m very grateful and much gratitude to you.