Snoring is a condition in which an individual produces a snorting sound or noise during sleep. This condition is due to the flow of air from the mouth or nasal cavities through the throat. In this case, the airflow from the nose or the mouth to the lungs causes the vibration of the airway tissues. Snoring affects both men and women. However, studies reveal that, men are more affected than women are. Some of the symptoms of snoring include the obvious noise that you make when you are asleep, sore throat, and dry mouth.
Snoring has been attributed to so many factors that revolves around health, lifestyle, genetic, hygiene, and other environmental conditions. Therefore, the following are some of the causes and thereafter the solutions for curbing this sleep disorder:
1. Pregnancy and obesity
Both obesity and pregnancy can cause an individual to snore while sleeping. Obese individuals have excess fats on their throats or just around the neck region. Research studies shows that, people who have a circumference that is more than 43cm on their necks snore a lot as compared to people with less neck circumference. Pregnant mothers also have bulky throat tissues limits the airflow and thus causing them to snore a lot while sleeping.
2. Nasal congestion and allergies
Nasal congestion happens as a result of nasal structure and other environmental conditions. In this case, it can be dust, genetic factors, cold or flu, and nose deformities. Both nasal congestion and allergies can cause blockage of the airflow and thus a vacuum that is created in the throat makes an individual to snore as he or she forces the air into the lungs.
3. Drinking alcohol and smoking
Smoking and alcohol drinking is also a major cause that is associated with this awful condition. This happens since both the tongue and the throat muscles become relaxed. Any of the substance that can make the muscles of the throat to relax can also cause an individual to snore.
4. Sleep posture
Sleeping posture also matters. If you want to avoid snoring, you should always learn to sleep with your sides. Sleeping on the back also causes the throat muscles to relax. Ideally, most of the people who have this condition also have the wrong sleeping posture. Therefore, it is so invaluable to make sleeping enjoyable and free from distractions by practicing the right sleeping best practices. In addition, the posture is also dictated by the comfort of the mattress and the pillows. In this case, without the proper pillow orientation, you might feel the same airflow effect that will make you to snore.
Snoring is mostly associated with the middle-aged individuals and the old. When a person is growing older and older, the throat continues to become narrower. In addition, the muscle tone of the throat decreases and thus causing airflow difficulty when asleep. While there is absolutely nothing that you can do to change your age, it is possible to practice other lifestyle changes that will help in reducing the same problem.
Having looked at the above causes, you will also realize that, every problem or condition has its solution. While snoring is caused by so many factors as mentioned above, there are awesome recommended and healthy ways that can be adopted in the treatment of the same condition. Therefore, the solutions include:
· Exercises. Of course, exercises are always healthy. Keeping your body fit is one of the ways of dealing with snoring. As mentioned, obesity or excess weight is one of the causes of snoring. Exercises are helpful in toning and strengthening the throat muscles thus creating a healthy pathway for air passage. You will also realize that, there are specific exercises that targets the throat muscles. Therefore, engaging in those exercises is one of the surest ways of dealing with snoring problem.
· Clear nasal passages. If your nose is stuffy for one reason or another, it is so imperative to clear the sinuses every time before going to bed. This is done to do away with the nasal condition that is one of the causes of snoring. In this case, you can apply nasal decongestant, nasal strips, or Neti pot. If it is the case of allergies, you should always moisten your bedroom to reduce dust and pet dander among other allergens.
· Quit smoking and alcohol drinks. As mentioned earlier in this article, alcohol drinking and smoking causes the relaxation of the throat muscles. Therefore, to avoid this problem, the only option is to quit smoking. If there is a difficulty for you to quit, it is also the best practice for you to seek advice from your doctor. Though this is easier said than to implement, you should be forced by the irritation that drinking and smoking causes to the nasal membranes, the throat, and the blockage that it causes to the airways.
· Change the sleeping position. Perhaps your solution to snoring is just changing the sleeping posture or position. Most of the people as mentioned have poor sleeping postures and thus causing them to snore throughout the night. If you have been sleeping on your bed flat with your back, then you should change if you want to avoid snoring. Instead, you should always sleep sideways rather than sleep on your back.
Some of the other solutions that have been found effective in reducing snoring include the following practices:
· Establishing a healthy sleep patterns.
· Keeping the bedroom air moist at all times.
· Use of anti-snoring mouth devices.
What are the health effects of snoring?
Snoring is not only a condition that makes you to produce irritating noise while you are sleeping but also a problem that poses a health risk. It is also worth taking into consideration the fact that, snoring that is caused by sleep apnea is very dangerous and can be deadly if not treated earlier. Before exploring on the health effects, there are also social effects that include partner resentment, reduced sexual satisfaction, and sleeping in different rooms due to irritating noise. The health effects include the following:
· Breathing interruptions. In this case, the breathing does not happen the way it should be. That means there is sometimes when you are not breathing normally and at times there is frequent breathing depending on the airways. This serious health risk can be fatal if not treated. Therefore, if you have a snoring problem, automatically you have breathing problems that can led to sleep apnea. What you should do is to try to explore on the ways that can help solve the problem in order to curb this effect.
· Light sleeping. This is the kind of sleep that is not satisfactory due to a lot of snoring distractions. Snoring makes a person to spend his or her time waking often thus interfering with his or her sleep pattern.
· Heart strain. It is very dangerous for the heart to strain to function effectively and efficiently since it is the engine of the body. Without the proper functioning of the heart pumping blood to all parts of the body, the organs and tissues of the body can develop other health problems. This condition can even further cause high-blood pressure, heart enlargement or even stroke.
· Day drowsiness. This is associated with the sleepy feeling, fatigue, or tiredness. Therefore, when a person spends his or her night snoring, this is the result the will be witnessed during the daytime. Drowsiness is thus an effect that actually interfere with the quality of life and can expose you to other risks and accidents especially if you are traveling on the road.
As much as snoring is a serious problem, there is always a solution. It is therefore important to identify the cause in order to find a perfect solution and thus gain access to better sleep.
Dealing with snoring: Causes, effects, and solutions is an article that was contributed by one of the writers from BestemsGuide.