Indulging in amazing food while keeping your wellness factors of looking great and feeling great is the basis of Personalized Nutrition. Your food life should never feel like deprivation. Go ahead and indulge wisely. Savor every lovely bite.
Here are my top 5 reasons to augment your healthy regimen with a little dark chocolate every now and then. After all, food is meant to bring you pleasure.
1. Antioxidant & Flavonoid rich. Antioxidants fight free radicals which cause cellular havoc. Flavonoids also support cardiovascular and nervous system health. Studies suggest they may be anti-cancer and improve cognitive function. You should get most of your flavonoid rich free radical fighting anti-oxidants from fresh, seasonal whole fruits and veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, green and black tea.
2. Magnesium powerhouse. A necessary mineral that supports cardiovascular health and muscular relaxation.
3. Good for overall cholesterol profile. Cocoa butter in dark chocolate contains polyphenols said to be involved in cholesterol control; and increased HDL (good) cholesterol.
4. Small quantities support healthy blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
5. Dark chocolate is an aphrodisiac. It contains tryptophan, a building block of the feel good neurotransmitter serotonin; and phenylethylamine, a stimulant related to amphetamine, which is released in the brain when people fall in love.
Choose the highest levels of cacao (begin at 70% and work up to 85%+) which totes the most benefit of dark chocolate. As with all good things, moderation makes us appreciate them more. Appreciation begs great benefits. Savor each and every decadent bite, if it appeals to you, and indulge in a little dark chocolate now and then. Like I always say: Buy the best dark chocolate you can afford! After all, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner!
Tam’s new book title: A Fresh Wellness Mindset: Personalize Your Food Life & Find Your Truth about Gluten is a guide to navigate making healthful choices. Not all healthy food is healthful for everyone. It’s beyond being another book about being gluten free. Gluten and grains are very healthful for some people and horrible for others. Find out how to navigate what your body needs, easily and deliciously.
because Wellness is True