Branch Basics is a wellness brand on a mission to help people create healthy homes by removing harmful chemicals from their daily lives so they can experience the life-changing power of pure. Inspired by the personal health journeys of three women, Branch Basics provides safe, effective, multi-purpose cleaning products and shares invaluable information on healthy living.
We spoke to the founders: Marilee Nelson, Allison Evans, and Kelly Love.
What’s the first thing you do when you get out of bed?
- Marilee Nelson: Focus on gratefulness for the opportunities to be presented on that day
- Allison Evans: Drink a huge glass of water
- Kelly Love: Finish the water on my nightstand before nursing my daughter
What gives you energy?
- MN: Inspired thoughts – Love a challenge – no limitations!
- AE: Taking a walk
- KL: Walking barefoot under the sun… without my phone
What daily habit or practice helps you thrive?
- MN: Taking daily walks
- AE: Playing with my 18 month old daughter
- KL: Actually sitting down to eat my meals!
Name a book that changed your life.
- MN: A Compromised Generation by Beth Lambert
- AE: Brighton Baby a Revolutionary Organic Approach to Having an Extraordinary Child
- KL: You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
Tell us about your relationship with your phone. Does it sleep with you?
- MN: I have chosen not to have a relationship with a phone! I do carry a cellphone when I travel.
- AE: I keep my phone on airplane mode as much as possible, especially at night!
- KL: I’m on my phone a lot for work unfortunately, so I turn it on airplane mode when walking and driving as much as possible and always when sleeping. (I listen to podcasts on airplane mode.) It stays on my bedside table when I need it for a clock, but otherwise I leave it in the kitchen.
How do you deal with email?
- MN: As I am able!
- AE: As timely as possible, or else I get anxious!
- KL: I used to check my phone obsessively throughout the day, but now I try to dedicate certain blocks of time to work so I can be more present when I’m with my daughter.
You unexpectedly find 15 minutes in your day, what do you do with it?
- MN: Go outside, ground, and relax
- AE: Prepare a healthy meal
- KL: Call a friend to catch up
When was the last time you felt burned out and why?
- MN: To be honest, I’m not sure. Even when I had the challenge with my son’s health issue, hitting a wall presented a thought shift opportunity that would keep me going.
- AE: Right now because I’m chasing and nursing a toddler, growing a baby, working, traveling and preparing for a move.
- KL: The most was when we re-launched our company late last summer because I would stay up really late working and still nurse once or twice during the night. I was running on very little sleep for a few months and completely exhausted.
When was the last time you felt you failed and how did you overcome it?
- MN: The unexpected issue with our business. I overcame it by seeing it as a great blessing because it opened up possibilities that we would have never dreamed of.
- AE: When our business took a dip a few years ago, and we overcame by sticking to our mission, continuing on and having faith it would all work out.
- KL: I have to agree with both Marliee and Allison here.
Share a quote that you love and that gives you strength or peace.
- MN: Be anxious about nothing, but with prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be known to God!
- AE: It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it – Epictetus
- KL: “Don’t you worry about anything, instead pray about everything.” It’s a lyric from The Peace of God by Scripture Lullabies that I got when I had my daughter and I just love the simplicity and truth of it!