Are you tired?
Well you might be on the path to burn out.
I hear this all the time, “I’m so tired.” “I’m exhausted.” “I just don’t have enough energy.”
It’s true, there are a lot of reasons that people can be tired, but tired can also be code for so many other things, including I am so tired of putting in so much effort, I am so tired of the constant striving and seeking of approval, I am so tired of the long work days and never being able to shut off my brain when I’m not at work. Yeah, that will make you tired alright.
Before you start blaming being tired on your age, take a look at your life. If you are a high-achiever, you might just be burning out from years (decades) of pushing yourself so hard, striving for the next accomplishment and never really slowing down to appreciate what you have so far.
Being a high-achiever can be exhausting, but it doesn’t have to be.
In fact, research shows that the most successful people are the ones that learn this early on. The most successful people learn to honor their limits even while expanding. They learn to prioritize what is important to them and they learn how to be present instead of ruminating on past mistakes and future projects.
If you are a high-achiever and find yourself constantly feeling or saying you are tired, do a quick assessment.
- How much are you sleeping?
- What are your exercise and nutrition habits?
- How present are you to what’s going on in your life?
- How many hours a week or a day do you work?
- What do you do in your “down time?” Or do you have any?
- Do you find yourself thinking about work or your next goal at all hours?
- Is your sleep disrupted by thoughts about your to-do list or your next objectives?
- Do you savor your accomplishments or do you just brush past them on the way to the next one?
Maybe your burn out is hiding behind your fatigue. If you think you are on the path to burn out and want to know more about how to recover and keep excelling, contact me to explore the next right steps for you.