From pursuing my work as a UN Women advocate both in Dallas and globally and celebrating the holidays with my @unwomen family and turning my wishes and aspirations into real-world change, 2018 has been a year of pursuing what I’m passionate about and actualizing change.
As Emily Ratajowski said in Harper’s Bazaar, “give women the opportunity to be whatever they want and as multifaceted as they can be…the importance [is] women’s right to choose (how she dresses, what she posts,” and this is something I’ve explored as an artist and with my burgeoning interest in photography and finding that it does not have to be contrary to my advocacy.
As a @metowe and @wemovement partner, I’m planning to support homeless women in my community through collecting sanitary napkins, blankets and other products to help them feel more comfortable this winter and creating New Year’s Resolutions to continue to raise my voice for the issues I believe in:
- Challenge myself to look beyond myself and my community and towards global issues such as poverty and inequality and how I can enact change
2. Write the things that matter, the words that worm across the page and have the power to touch minds and change hearts
3. Become even more deeply involved with the United Nations throughout my role as a UN Women advocate and pursue my work leading ShePower as a MetoWe and We Movement partner
4. Empower and learn from the people I interact with, whether family and friends, the girls I worked with in India through my foundation ShePower or the homeless I donated supplies to this holiday
5. Whether the girls I met in India or those on a world stage, global leaders are fueled by energy and compassion to better the world which is why I want to strive to raise awareness of obstacles many must overcome and opportunities to support equality.
. . .
All girls and every child deserves to be healthy, safe, counted and in a position to be in the next generation of leaders.
We see potential leaders everywhere. It’s time for women and girls to see it in themselves. And as a teen celebrity journalist and women’s advocate through UN Women, I am honored to further their mission in creating and making a better and brighter future a reality for millions of girls. When we empower girls hungry for education and opportunity, we can change lives as I’ve experienced first hand.