They aren’t called the Winter Blues by coincidence! Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of mental illness that causes a spike in depression and anxiety during a specific season. For most people, this occurs during the winter months when the sun is hiding and you’re hibernating. Fortunately, there are many activities for seasonal affective disorder you can do to battle the blues and decrease depression and anxiety during this time of year.
Seasonal Affective Disorder, in short, is depression and anxiety associated with winter and thought to be caused by a lack of light. But it’s also much more complicated than that, so I highly suggest grabbing our latest eBook, 5 Secrets to Fighting the Winter Blues– for free!
The good news is that whether you’re experiencing seasonal depression, seasonal anxiety or a hefty dose of both, you can easily ease those negative feelings. Here is a list of my top favourite activities for seasonal affective disorder – add them to your winter bucket list!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – you have to enjoy the season if you want to keep the winter blues at bay! Here are some ideas to add to your winter bucket list:
1.Take a winter walk
2. Go for a drive and enjoy the light festivals
3. Head to your local cafe for a seasonal drink
4. Go sledding
5. Try snow shoeing
6. Have a snow ball fight
7. Build a snow fort
8. Go ice skating
9. Play outdoor hockey on a outdoor rink
10. Go tubing at a local ski hill
11. Attend a local holiday market
12. Go skiing or snowboarding
13. Have a bonfire and roast some marshmallows
14. Go dog sledding
15. Try winter camping in a Yurt
You can never have too many winter self care activities, especially when seasonal depression and seasonal anxiety has you stuck in bed!
16. Have an at-home spa day
17. Get a massage (touch alleviates anxiety)
18. Treat yourself to a mani-pedi
19. Enjoy a trip to a local rock spa
20. Curl up in a cozy weighted blanket for a movie night
21. Try some new essential oils
22. Take a relaxing bath with seasonal scents
23. Head on a weekend getaway
24. Read more books
25. Create a calming space in your home
26. Get your hair done
27. Go for brunch with a friend
28. Do absolutely nothing – and no feeling guilty about it
29. Bake some holiday treats
30. Fill your home with seasonal flowers and plants
31. Take a nap
32. Try colouring for stress relief
Every day, it’s important to wake up in a healthy mind space and these daily winter activities will help you do just that!
33. Avoid the traditions that make you stressed out
34. Make your bed
35. Wake up and meditate (the Calm app is amazing!)
36. Write in a journal (the Happy Journal from our winter box is incredible. Get a box!)
37. Write down one good thing about each day and keep it in a Happiness Jar
38. Get outdoors for a minimum of 15 minutes each day
39. Practice gratitude
40. Clean up and declutter
41. Go to bed earlier
42. Turn off technology for at least an hour a day
43. Take (and use) a personal essential oil diffuser with you
44. Sing more
45. Dance around your home
46. Do something creative
47. Read positive affirmations
48. Find a motivational quote for each day
49. Stay organized with a planner
50. Try a new exercise (yoga is great for seasonal depression and anxiety)
51. Re-wire your brain to find the good in everything with Binaural Tones
52. Take care of a plant
53. Try a new hobby
54. Plan a weekend getaway
55. Say “Yes” to things YOU want to do
56. Take time for yourself
57. Limit the time spent on toxic relationships
58. Avoid handing out with people who don’t make you feel good
59. Say “no” to commitments that make you too busy
60. Enjoy the goodies in our winter Anxiety Gone subscription box!
There are so many incredible things you can do to alleviate seasonal depression and anxiety; most of which don’t even cost a dime! So, treat yourself to these activities for seasonal affective disorder and the winter months won’t seem so unbearable.
However, if you find that your seasonal depression and anxiety has taken over, consider seeking professional health. Better Help is one of the best online therapy platforms and they offer a 7 Day Free Trial. The difference therapy can make is priceless.
And don’t forget to download your free copy of my latest eBook, 5 Secrets to Fighting the Winter Blues.
Originally published at anxiety-gone.com.
Stay up to date or catch-up on all our podcasts with Arianna Huffington here.