Just for fun, imagine: What if a bunch of us were in a house and there was a knock at the door today. Would we answer it?
We might not want to of course, because you know #coronavirus. But wouldn’t we all still want to rush to a window and take a look? Most of us aren’t getting out much right now….this could mean refreshing non-contact!
So we gently pull back the curtains…and we look out onto the front porch. There is a man there, dressed in a long brown–is that a robe? But this isn’t your average jammies and robe ensemble. This robe looks like it could have been issued in antiquity…and so does he. He is sporting a long white beard and he has a staff instead of a cane. Is this Gandalf? 😀
It’s actually better than Gandalf. It’s a real person. It’s Moses! Yes, that one-from the Old Testament! Do we let him in? I’m going to guess it’s a hard “Yes” from us. We could stay six feet apart, we reason. We just can’t let a chance to hear from Moses pass. (“You shall not pass!” Sorry, wrong story….:D) We are curious, and besides, we could use some comfort in these uncertain times. Once he explains to our nervous selves how he got here, we would likely be ready to listen to the spiritual messages he came to share. Please accept our hand sanitizer Moses. We are ready to hear all the things….
There is bad news and good news. The bad news of course is that Moses isn’t coming over today. But the good news is that we have the opportunity to listen to a prophet, like unto Moses, speak to us today, and on many future days. Even better, we can also listen to some of his great associates, including modern versions of the apostles of Jesus Christ.
I know. It’s a lot! If you have never heard of this opportunity before, it might be deep breathing time. And you probably have lots of questions. Perhaps many of them can be answered here:
You can also contact the missionaries (seriously, such kind people) this way: https://www.comeuntochrist.org/requests/missionary-visit)
Twice a year, in the fall and spring, these representatives of our Savior Jesus Christ gather in what is called a General Conference. All of us, as God’s children, are invited to join with people who come from all over the globe to Salt Lake City, Utah, to listen. Of course we can’t fit a whole world wide globe full of people into a Conference Center. I mean, we couldn’t even fit a world wide globe full of snow globes in there:). But technology saves the day. Millions of people listen to Conference each year via the internet. The last Conference was last week. Do you want to know what they said?
If you do, head over to your couch and snuggle up with blankets and optional snacks. It’s time for…hearing from modern day Apostles and God’s current Prophet! I know, I know, this kind of thing makes me feel like a five year old on Christmas morning-you too?:) What will they say? Will they talk about the virus? Is everything going to be OK? What else can they teach that is relevant/helpful?
So. Many. Things.
But hang on to your possible popcorn, because we need to switch directions for a relative hot second. We are coming back to Conference, I promise, and all of this will come together in the end like a souffle for the soul #SOULffle:)
Let’s talk about yoga. There is this wonderful yoga teacher who curates her sessions for whatever’s ailing of the moment. Need help with anxiety, gut health, stress, chronic pain, low back issues, risk taking, even vertigo? This instructor teaches that there’s a yoga for that! And for even more of the life things!
So I wondered…what if the most recent Conference talks could be curated in a similar manner for matters of the soul? Why not? Here are some curated talks below. There are also lots of other great talks, and you can find them all here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/general-conference?lang=eng
With each suggested talk, I’ve also included a “sample”, i.e. a quote for savoring…like something you might receive from Sephora if you were purchasing online, only the item was for your soul #SOULphora:).
- A GC (General Conference) talk for being introduced to an actual Prophet: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/04/45nelson?lang=eng
Sample: “When these temporary COVID-19 restrictions are lifted…” That’s a “when” not an “if”! He also talks positively about the future here: https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/3/14/21180106/president-nelson-coronavirus-message-mormon-lds-church-covid-19-pandemic
That said, there is still lots of evil in the world, and this bumpy ride that will land in the millennium isn’t over. #conversation for another time…#thatswhywearespirituallypreparingnowinpartforwhatisnext
2. A GC talk if you are wondering how Heavenly Father views His daughters: conference/2020/04/14jones?lang=eng
Sample: “To be a righteous woman during the winding up scenes on this earth, before the second coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman’s strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times.”
3. A GC talk if you would like to better understand the Atonement of Christ: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/04/25causse?lang=eng This talk includes a story about the temple in Paris, and a man who apologizes to the church for not understanding our belief in Christ. It is given by a Frenchman who understands the especial significance of a temple there.
Sample: “The Book of Mormon clarifies and expands our knowledge of this supernal gift. As you study this book, you will hear the voice of the living Christ inviting you to come unto Him. I promise that if you accept this invitation and pattern your life after His example, His redemptive influence will come into your life. Through the power of the Holy Ghost, the Savior will transform you day after day “until the perfect day” when you will, as He declared, “see my face and know that I am.”
4. A GC talk if you would like to know if there were other visions of Christ after “The First Vision” (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/first-vision?lang=eng (hint: yes, many). This is a “deep dive” talk and includes some interesting history of the church. Reading about the First Vision, and/or chatting with those missionaries would also be helpful here.
Sample: “The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened. We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber. His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying: I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father.”
5. A GC talk for understanding more about the Book of Mormon: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2009/10/safety-for-the-soul?lang=eng This talk isn’t even in this Conference. (there are archives of talks from previous years. I often listen to them while getting ready in the morning. There are so many talks I will probably still be getting ready and listening in my nineties:). But it’s such a terrific talk on this key “straight outta heaven” piece of the restored gospel, that I had to include it. I can’t even choose a sample. You just have to listen to the whole wonderful thing.
6. A GC talk if you would like a happy, very general overview of God and the Savior’s plan: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/04/54uchtdorf?lang=eng
Sample: “He (our Savior) cares regardless of a person’s position—how poor or rich, how imperfect or proven someone is. During His mortal life, the Savior ministered to all: to the happy and accomplished, to the broken and lost, and to those without hope. Often, the people He served and ministered to were not individuals of prominence, beauty, or wealth. Often, the people He lifted up had little to offer in return but gratitude, a humble heart, and the desire to have faith.”
7. A GC talk for understanding the elements found in “The Finest Homes”. (Hint: these elements do not appear in The Restoration Hardware catalog or similar)
Sample: “Periodic self-assessment, coupled with asking the Lord, “What lack I yet?” can help each of us contribute to the building of a finest home.”
I am not often without words. But honestly, I can not explain the depth of my gratitude for General Conference. It has blessed me and our whole family in the best of times. They will see us through the worst.
Hope you enjoy this little basket of curated spiritual treats. Big thanks to many of you for reaching out to me in the different media connecting ways. Right back at you with the love and respect. I am so blessed to be connected with so many of you here and in other publications.
Happy Easter and beyond dear peeps!!