Often we find ourselves willing to give anything for one more meeting with a dear departed one: we long to embrace our late parents, to kiss the partner who left our side too soon, or to hear the pitter patter of a former pet running to greet us at the door. Often our wish comes true when the spirit reincarnates into a new body.
Energy never dies. It’s transferred back and forth endlessly, taking many shapes and different dwellings. Once energy escapes an expired body, it seeks a new vessel. The soul that adored you can’t wait to come back into your life, many times with a similar purpose. He or she might look different, but the same, unmistakable spirit will radiate forth.
Do you wonder if the soul of your loved one has taken on a new form? Reflect on these telltale signs to find out:
1. They left before their time. If your loved one died suddenly or tragically, if they left unfinished business, or if you believe they passed before their proper time, their spirit will reincarnate as soon as possible. They will be reborn into the circle where they felt most loved, but also into situations that allow them to resolve what was left open.
2. Language. My cousin’s grandmother was named Anna. A photo of her stood on a mantle in the living room. When my cousin’s baby girl was starting to say her first words, she pointed to the photo, mumbled the name “Anna,” then pointed to herself. The baby seemed to know who was in that photo without ever having been told. I’ve heard of many cases in which parents are astonished when their children suddenly say new words or sing in a foreign language, without any indication of where they might’ve learned such skills. The reincarnated soul may use the same figures of speech or vocabulary as the person who passed on.
3. Mannerisms. An easy way to detect a reincarnated soul is the presence of similar gestures such as body language, laugh, physical expressions, etc. Personality traits may also carry over, like stubbornness, boldness, curiosity, or other qualities that were distinct to the deceased person. The new being will appear to behave like the person who’s gone, regardless of its age or gender. People around you may also feel the comfort and recollection of a soul they’ve known before, pointing out uncanny resemblances to the one who’s passed.
4. Physical characteristics. It’s given that children will look like their parents and grandparents, but one giveaway of a reincarnated soul is being born with a unique physical feature that only the person who passed on possessed, such as a birthmark or mole. My good friend Debbie was deeply affected when her stepfather died. She remarked that he had a birthmark on his leg. When Debbie had a child years later, her boy was born with a birthmark identical to her stepdad’s! This defied logic, as her stepfather was not biologically related to her or her son. Debbie believed her stepfather’s spirit wanted to announce his return through the reappearance of this physical mark.
5. Their eyes. They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul, and for good reason! When someone can’t speak or speaks a different language, we absorb their emotions and understand their intentions just by looking into their eyes. If you look at a child or animal and swell up with a familiar feeling, you may be looking into the eyes of a soul you’ve known for a long time.
6. Synchronicity. Take note of divine timing, as it’s never a coincidence. The day, month, and year of every birth are picked carefully and hold tremendous meaning. For example, a baby may be born in your family on the same day of the year that a loved one died, signaling that the soul chose the day of its passing to become new again.
7. Nostalgia. A big clue that your loved one has rematerialized is that you’re overcome with a sense of nostalgia; this being brings to memory almost overwhelmingly the places, times, events, scents, even sounds you associate with the person who passed. You will feel an incredible pull towards the more profound moments you shared with the one who departed, which can be bittersweet. But this out-of-time experience is a sure sign of the manifestation of an old soul.
8. Patterns. I had a client who was devastated when her mother suddenly passed away in a car accident. “Not to worry,” I told her, “she’ll come back as your daughter.” Several years later, my client was overjoyed when she gave birth to a girl. The child was definitely the new embodiment of her grandmother’s spirit—she was even involved in a car accident early in life! But the girl emerged unharmed, ending the pattern her soul had carried over from its past life. A reincarnated soul may be born into similar circumstances or have to live through events parallel with its prior life. This serves as an opportunity to break the cycle and close out old karma.
9. They finally fill the void. You may feel a persistent void since your loved one left that nothing, not even the endless love of others, has been able to fill. That’s because that inner space can only be replenished by the unique presence of the one who’s gone. Perhaps the greatest indication that you’ve been reunited with your loved one is that the painful gap has finally closed. Instead of lingering emptiness, you feel a profound sense of fulfillment that mends all wounds. This satisfying sentiment means the soul has rejoined your life.
The people who love us don’t want to leave us but when they have to, their spirits make it a point to return. Pay attention to the signs above to recognize and welcome home a reincarnated soul.
To new life,
Dr. Carmen Harra