I had the pleasure of chatting with a physiotherapy assistant student yesterday. She was middle-aged and expressing how much she was enjoying her clinical placements in hospital and in long-term care.
I asked what drove her to the profession after all of these years – she said she knew healthcare was always her passion, but, “life got in the way” and she found herself settling for a career in finance for the last 25 years.
“I knew it was a job for me – it did not bring as much joy or take away any worry that I had day to day.” She further explained that her calling to healthcare became more pronounced when her father had become ill and was in the hospital. She saw first-hand how he recovered and sensed how rewarding it would be to improve people’s lives. Just as she had always imagined it would be.
This moment re-ignited her passion and courage to return to school to pursue her one true calling – to serve and change people’s lives for the better.
I found myself reflecting on our conversation and in doing so, I discovered these 8 signs to know compassionate care is your calling.
- It finds you by showing itself in your life in some way. Perhaps someone you love falls ill or you become the healer or peacemaker to those in your life.
- You crave more in your current position – the richness and fulfillment that you know deep within comes from only helping others.
- No other job seems to bring you peace.
- The desire to serve is always on your mind and in your soul.
- You have genuine compassion and concern for humanity.
- You are deeply grateful for your good health and feel it is within your power to bring good health to those who suffer.
- You believe everyone has a divine right to be healthier and you want to help them get there.
- You surrender no matter what age or stage of your life and pursue healthcare because you feel it is just who you are that will make a difference in this world.
At the end of the day, it does not matter how slow or how fast you pursue your calling to compassionate care because the desire will never leave you.
How did you know compassionate care was your calling? How did you respond? Simply comment below or email me at [email protected]