In the midst of fast fashion and the pressure to keep up with trends, I’ve become more aware of the different options that are available. It can be overwhelming with fashion changing so quickly and the pressure to keep up to have the newest designs. It can also be expensive.
By exploring options such as shopping at thrift stores and consignment stores, here are some lessons that I’ve learned. These lessons can be applied to our daily life:
- Persistence — look for the treasures. Take some time to sort through the racks and dig through the piles. It can feel challenging, though keep persevering through the mess.
- Keep trying — look at different thrift/consignment stores, check out online apps such as Letgo. Go with a friend and pick out things for each other to make it fun! Even when it feels tiring, enjoy the journey and stay present.
- Judge less — try on items before you dismiss them. Wear clothes that are comfortable and easy to change in and out of.
- Look for treasures — have an idea of what you’re looking for when you arrive — eg. are you focusing on dresses, tops, jeans? This will make it mentally easier to sort through the racks and keep focused.
- Patience — If you like labels, ask the staff to see if they have seen any ones that would be suitable for you. Know that you will find something, even if it takes several attempts.
- Sustainability — By purchasing gently used items, you are helping to reduce waste by re-using and recycling.
- Embrace being different — Know that by shopping at thrift/consignment stores, there is likely one of each items. So you are picking out items that not everyone else is wearing, a great win in being unique!