A new year is upon us which means a fresh start for your health. Here are 7 healthy tips that will help reboot your metabolism.
- Say good morning to your body. Drink at least 8 ounces of water when you wake up. Water purifies the body and makes for a more favorable environment for nutrients to be absorbed. Aim for a minimum of 64 ounces each day.
- Eat a well-balanced breakfast. Your first meal of the day should include protein, carbohydrate, and fiber. Keep variety and timing a priority. We don’t eat the same thing for dinner every night. Why do we eat the same thing for breakfast every day? Give your metabolism a boost by alternating your breakfast foods and eating them within 90 minutes of waking up.
- Make time for lunch. Fueling your body every 3-4 hours with real food is essential to your metabolism. You would never allow your car to run on the wrong type of gas or run on empty. Avoid convenience foods and map out your healthy meals and snacks in advance.
- Distribute your calories evenly throughout the day. Waiting until the evening hours to consume the majority of your calorie needs may increase insulin levels, promote fat storage, and result in weight gain. By the end of the day, your metabolism slows down and it doesn’t burn calories as efficiently.
- Add some spice. Cayenne pepper, ginger, and dark mustard are just a few of the many spices that kick the metabolism into high gear. Their thermogenic effect naturally raises your metabolism and can burn up to 50 calories per meal.
- Increase your lean body mass (LBM). Incorporate weight or resistance training into your workout routine 2-3 times per week. The more LBM you have, the higher your metabolism is at rest.
- Sleep well. Not getting enough sleep can slow down your metabolism. It may lead to a ravenous cycle of overeating. When we’re tired, we don’t feel like cooking which leads to poor food choices. Try to sleep 7-8 hours each night. In turn, this will increase your leptin hormone level. Leptin communicates with the brain when your appetite is satisfied. Rest up!
~Happy Healthy Metabolism Boosting!
For more Nutrition Advice and Healthy Recipes follow Helen on Instagram