Does your life feel like it’s flat-lined?
Does it seem like everything you used to be enthusiastic about is now as joyful as a dead fish?
Are you wondering what’s going on?
And more importantly, how can you rediscover your zest for life and start to feel like yourself again?
8 Signs Of Apathy
First, let’s take a look at 8 common signs of apathy. Knowledge is power, and I want you to regain yours.
Here they are:
- Your productivity is way down
- You’re disinterested in your activities
- You’ve lost your passion and motivation
- You feel indifferent to your goals
- You’re uninterested in self-care
- You feel flat and lifeless
- You can’t muster up the energy to emotionally respond to either positive or negative events
- You no longer feel excitement, sadness, or anger
You see how some of these signs overlap with each other? Apathy symptoms tend to cluster around a general lack of emotion and energy about, well, anything. It’s a general feeling of “meh”.
Apathy can also be a sign of burnout – which has been recognized as an official medical diagnosis by the World Health Organization. In other words, it can be serious.
If you’re really in the throes of apathy, you can find it difficult to succeed at work, keep healthy relationships, and maintain good physical and emotional health. And if you’ve experienced sudden or inexplicable apathy, this could be a sign of an underlying mental or physical health problem.
6 Ways To Break Free From Apathy And Enjoy Your Life (Again)
Now that I’ve given you some common signs of apathy, let’s take a look at six ways you can shake it off and start to feel like yourself again.
#1 Switch up your routine. Make small changes to your usual routine. Shake things up a bit. Go in a little earlier to work. Say hi to a new person. Your goal is to get out of a rut you may be in.
#2 Create an uplifting mood. Is there somewhere you feel particularly good, maybe in nature or a certain room in your home? Spend extra time there, soaking up the positive environment.
#3 Find the positive aspects in your life. Perhaps it’s your child’s smile, or the scent of rain when you sit on your porch during a storm. Sit down with a piece of paper and a pen. For five minutes, write down anything that’s positive in your life. Keep writing; don’t stop until the time’s up.
#4 Reframe your thoughts. When you find yourself mired in negative thoughts and beliefs reframe them into more positive statements. For example, you may be down on yourself because of your apathy, and feel like it will last forever. Try “I’m feeling out of sorts right now, but it’s temporary. It will pass.”
#5 Remind yourself of past joys. You haven’t always been apathetic. What do you recall that you felt joyful about in the past? Write it down. Remind yourself of the circumstances and range of your feelings.
#6 Sign up here for my complimentary “From Burnout To Balance: A Simple 10-Minute Daily Self-Care Practice.” This practice has been shown to:
- Increase mindfulness, well-being, self-confidence, and personal power
- Increase your ability to concentrate
- Cultivate a greater resilience to stress, a positive mindset, and a sense of hopefulness and calm
- Decrease stress and stress-related symptoms like frustration, mood swings, feelings of overwhelm or lack of control, anxiety, depression, low energy, headaches, body aches and pains, muscle tension, chest pain and rapid heartbeat, insomnia, and frequent colds and infections
- Reduce or even stop worrying
I created this daily self-care practice because I’ve experienced apathy as part of burnout. I know the toll it can take, and I’m here to support you.
Set Yourself Free From Apathy’s Grip
Being mired in apathy feels like your life has flat-lined.
So let’s jump start your enthusiasm.
Let’s get your passion sparked.
I want you to wake up in the morning feeling eager to enjoy your life again. Full of smiles and happiness.
It is possible. Start by applying the 6 techniques above. Then, for an added boost, sign up for my free From Burnout to Balance 7-Day Self-Love Challenge to really get your juices flowing!
Each day during these 7 days I’m going to challenge you to take 15 minutes for yourself – with me – to look at what’s really going on beneath the signs of burnout. I’ll give you simple strategies for how to turn things around so you can get on the path towards balance and enjoying your life (again).
If you’re ready to break out of the burnout cycle and desire to be…
- Relaxed and confident, knowing you’re tending to the most important priorities
- Energized, clear and focused
- Calm, easy-going and peaceful
- Sleeping like a baby and waking up rested
- Engaged, inspired and passionate about your life