Have you ever had a really grouchy day, where you don’t want to get out of bed, let alone your pajamas…you can’t be bothered to shave, you’re feeling down and your home is a mess. You’ve been wearing the same threadbare t-shirt for days, and the delivery dude knows your order by heart. You reach for another beer, or glass of whiskey, before settling down to your favourite pizza on the couch in front of Netflix…
It’s as if everything in your outer world is expressing how you’re feeling…pretty shitty…Well imagine flipping that. How would it feel to be empowered by your clothing, to feel calm and relaxed in your surroundings…wouldn’t that go a long way to helping you feel better about yourself?
A home isn’t a hotel room, but you know that feeling of yumminess when you stay in a really great hotel – you just feel a little bit taller, a little bit more confident and relaxed, calmer, comfortable and more focused. A little more powerful, a bit more cool and in control. Imagine having that feeling every day in your home, and in your clothes.
I’m not saying that clothes and a well styled home are the cure all elixir – that WOULD be amazing, but they can certainly help. That’s because, as much as our clothes and surroundings can express what we’re feeling on the inside – we can also manipulate that message, to project how we want to feel…and how we want to be perceived…and you don’t have wait until you’re down, or eating burrito in bed to feel the benefits…
Starting points can be:
- Organising your home, and getting the cleaner in for a deep clean. Throw away any holey socks, threadbare underwear or clothes without hesitation. Check over all garments for missing buttons or minor defects and get them repaired. When our physical objects look good, and are organised, we can feel calmer, and more immediately in control.
- Knowing your proportions and size, and buy clothes that fit well. It can be all to easy to hide behind oversized clothes when we don’t feel our best…make the most of what you have instead – honor and celebrate what you have! (everyone has something positive!)
- Giving yourself permission to feel, but also to ponder and work on what it is that you really want in life…not what other people want from you, but what you want – work out your values, what makes you tick – and do more of that, or moving towards that.
- Playing with soft yummy varied textures in your clothes and home, so you literally feel great. Layering up textures creates a more interesting, nuanced feel…and potentially makes others want to cozy up next to you!
- Surround yourself by your favorite sounds – play your secret cheesy playlist on a decent sound system (dancing optional)
- Even if you don’t get art at all, go to a gallery and let your mind wander – even if you think the work on display is nonsense, at least you’ve got a moment to think about something different, and open your mind to new possibilities. Huge sculptures are especially good for this, as their sheer scale can help put things into perspective (the sculpture courts at the Louvre are my personal favorites.)
Surrounding yourself by deliciousness simply makes a lot of sense…and I don’t just mean your favourite pepperoni diablo – although that can help too…
If you’d like some discrete guidance, get in touch!