1) When that winter wind is piercing through your skin on your commute, treat yourself to a warm cup of bone broth. There are bone broth cafes popping up throughout the country. Grab a cup at Brodo or Springbone in NYC, Proposition Chicken in SF, or Belcampo Meat Co. in LA. The benefits of bone broth include improved skin, shinier hair, and it even protects joints so you can stay nice and flexible in and out of the bedroom.
2) Meditate. I don’t know about you, but sometimes the sun tends to rain on my parade by going down at 4 pm everyday. I’m not the most disciplined practitioner, I don’t meditate 20 minutes twice a day, but I promise that the littlest moments of focus on the breath lead to clearer intentions. Meditation is proven to reduce depression, stress, and anxiety, and even generate kindness! These symptoms lead to an overall increase in sexual wellness as stress and mood is often an impediment to sexual pleasure.
3) Have a “hygge” day. One of the reasons the Danish are one of the happiest countries in the world is probably due to their concept of hygge, pronounced “HYOO-gah” (don’t worry, we won’t judge you if you keep calling it “hee-gee”). Hygge is the basis of self-care and the epitome of coziness, comfort, and warmth. The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking defines hygge as: “everything from ‘the art of creating intimacy,’ ‘coziness of the soul,’ and ‘the absence of annoyance,’ to ‘taking pleasure from soothing things,’ ‘cozy togetherness,’ and my favorite, ‘cocoa by candlelight.’ Hygge is about an atmosphere and an experience. A feeling of home. A feeling that we are safe.” Practice self-care and get cozy with a day in your pajamas in a pile of cozy blankets, with lots of pillows, a cup of tea, and some friends.
4) Respect how you’re feeling. Sometimes in the winter our natural rhythm begins to change and we get tired earlier and our bodies need more rest. It’s okay to cancel drinks or dinner with those friends, if you communicate your needs and they are your friends, then I promise, they’ll understand. Sometimes you just need some you time and a good nap and that’s okay. Don’t fight how you’re feeling, embrace it. Go home, draw a warm bath, and treat yo’ self.
5) HOT CHOCOLATE. ‘nuff said.