Life is a beautiful adventure. But here’s the thing, there are two ways of living life:
1 . We live by design – where we are clear on what we want, and we take inspired action to create it (because we are always creating in life, we don’t get to NOT create);
2. We let life dictate the terms to us – where we wait for things to happen, and feel powerless and victims of people or circumstances.
When you choose option 1 (and yes, I said “choose” because we have the power of choice available to us at all times) you are actually living ON purpose, you’re intentionally creating the reality you want – you’re an active participant in the fullness of your own life.
Now, if you are aware that you’re leaning more towards option 2, here are some things that you need to stop doing if you want to live ON purpose:
- Stop “Shoulding” Yourself – Have you taken the time to get clear on what YOU want? What lights you up? What brings you joy? What is negotiable in your life? What are you not willing to tolerate? All your decisions must be based on what you want, not on what other people think you “should” do. Not knowing what you want will keep you stuck in a rut, living life on auto-pilot, and based on other people’s expectations. Take some time every day to connect with yourself and get clarity on what you want, and then start doing the things that you love as much as you can, so you can follow your path. Nothing will bring you more joy, freedom and fulfillment.
- Stop Comparing Yourself to Others – Comparison is a joy stealer, and it leads to self-judgment. If you’re feeling jealous of other people and what they’re doing in their lives, take it as a powerful sign that you have so much more inside that needs to be expressed, and start taking action to live the life you desire for yourself. You are unique! See this as an amazing opportunity to share your greatness with the world.
- Stop Letting Fear Be the Driver in Your Life – Just be aware that fear will always get activated when you’re thinking about doing things that you’ve never done before. That’s how we are wired as human beings, for survival. But it doesn’t mean that fear is there to stop you in your tracks. Start by taking baby steps. Develop the habit of taking action despite of feeling fear. Courage is a little muscle that can be developed. Befriend your fear because it will always shine a light on what needs to be healed. If you want to live ON purpose, you will need to give yourself permission to s-t-r-e-t-c-h a bit more every time, so you can experience growth.
- Stop Blaming Others or Circumstances – When you blame others or circumstances, you’re giving your power away, and you can’t become the empowered person you were born to be. Stop the blame game, and start taking your power back. Happy and successful people know that they are the creators of their own reality. They make choices instead of excuses. They hold themselves accountable for their own life, career, relationships, health, etc.
- Stop Living in the Past – All we really have is the present moment. Don’t dwell on the past. You’re not a mess, you don’t need to be fixed. Whatever happened to you is not who you are, don’t label yourself. We’re living in the here and now, so give yourself the gift of making the best out of it. You create your future from your present moment, so start turning the negative thoughts you have about yourself or your past into fuel to change your future. That way you’ll be able to feel more grounded, see the blessings you currently have in your life, and create new and better results, as you start living life more intentionally. Just tell yourself: “I have the power to decide who I want to become from now on”.
Remember, it all starts with you…We are the architects of our own fate. We are responsible for creating the life we desire.
Give yourself the gift of stepping up. At the end of the day, only you have the power to choose if you want to live a life full of comfort and safety, but feeling stuck; or a life full of growth and expansion. All you need is just a small step, take action now so you start living life ON Purpose!