If your day starts with you running around, without focus or feeling lethargic and uninspired, this post is definitely for you.
There are a few very simple things you can do to set the tone for a positive and productive day. It’s a matter of self awareness and consistency.
5 Simple things that you can start today.
1. Get Enough Sleep – You’d think this would be obvious. The National Sleep Foundation conducted a study and found that 90% of those with healthy sleep habits reported feeling very effective at getting things done compared to 46% who did not sleep well. They also found that only 10% of American adults prioritize their sleep.
Everyone needs sleep but at different ages we require different amounts. Click here to see how much sleep you may need.
2. Cook and Eat a Good Breakfast – So many of you run out the door, grabbing a cup of coffee on the way out or a yogurt or protein bar. Having breakfast is more than food. It’s self-care, a time to prepare your food consciously in a way that sustains you. Sitting WITH yourself, or sharing breakfast with your spouse or family is a way to begin your day nourished not only in body but also emotionally. Breaking bread with those around you helps you begin your day serving others and feeling confident and positive.
3. Protect Your Mind – Ok, confess. Do you reach for your phone the very first thing in the morning, even before hugging your partner or wishing your family a good morning? Whether you live with others or alone, is that the way you want to start your day, filling up your mind with noise?
I was one of those people who did this too. Now I don’t reach for the phone. I reach for a yoga strap and deliciously stretch out my body while I’m still in bed. I’m quiet for a while before rising – or at least until my dogs get restless and hungry. I refuse to turn on any news instead preferring the stillness of the morning and the sounds of nature outside.
This has helped me begin my day ON MY TERMS, peacefully enjoying my breakfast on the balcony looking out to the ocean. This is a much better view than the screen on my phone!
How helpful is it to ingest negativity and worry (news) at the beginning of your day before you are ready even to connect to yourself? Like food, your body and mind are either nourished or compromised by what you allow in.
This is a conscious choice for self-care.
Once you’ve centered yourself, eaten breakfast and mindfully washed the dishes, you can start your day. For me this practice has made a significant difference in my outlook, attitude and energy level. It will for you too I’m sure.
4. Move – It doesn’t matter whether you spend 10 minutes stretching, practice yoga for 30 minutes or take an hour long run, just move your body. There are so many benefits to exercise that I can’t go into all of them here. But moving, whether it’s exercise or simply moving your body, allows you to enter into the day with less tension and more grace.
If you think you don’t have an hour to exercise, a simple 15 minute stretch will still make a difference and it’s something anyone can do.
5. Share The Love – Hug someone. You may think this is silly but hugging your spouse, friend, dog, cat or anyone is an expression of love, kindness and gratitude and it’s the best way I know to start the day. Remember, that hug comes right back to you filling your soul with goodness and love.
Try these this week and let me know how it changes your day, your week, even your life.
Small steps can bring big results.
If you’re committed to Conscious Living then I invite you to join my online course Mastering Conscious Living – 10 Lessons To Creating Purpose, Passion and Peace In Your Life where you’ll learn more practices to wake you up in life and work and build confidence and resiliency. The course includes online real-time coaching with me and a complimentary ebook for you to download.
I created Mastering Conscious Living so that you could make more healthy choices in your life that are simple and easy to incorporate no matter how busy you are.
Alicia is a writer, storyteller and catalyst for personal growth. She works with people who want to intentionally create a life that brings your heart and mind into alignment so you experience greater meaning, joy, peace and purpose in your life. www.aliciamrodriguez.com
Originally published at www.aliciamrodriguez.com