- 1. Award-winning actor in DMV area ( DC/Maryland/Virginia )
- 2.Award Winning Advocate
- 3. Multi award-winning transformation speaker
What is your “backstory”?
My father died when I was six years old which devastated me most of my childhood. Eventually is leased me to the streets becoming a drug dealer and gang banger. I was purely lost and seemed to be impossible to change my life in the eyes of many. It’s was when I served nearly eight years in prison when I found God and had plenty of time to redeem myself, spirituality, destiny and all things according to God’s plan. Once I was released from prison, Charles D. Clark was a new man.
Can you share the funniest or most interesting story that occurred to you in the course of your acting/directing/performing career?
Hmmm.. When I was doing background for the first time on Netflix ” House Of Cards ” I went to the wrong food table not knowing SAG & crew had there on the table from background. Here I am putting some of the best food I’ve witnessed on my plate only to get a tap on the shoulder by a PA ( Production Assistant ) asking me ” Are you SAG or background? “..When I answered background she said I could not eat from this table again. I looked at the background table of food, and I was like heck no lol! The next time I ran across the same PA, and she said ” Are you said or background..and you look familiar “..I said I have a twin brother whom you asked the same question too about six months ago..he was background.But I am SAG and boy her whole attitude changed. She was super nice to me lol!
What are some of the most interesting or exciting projects you are working on now?
As everyone knows I’m a ( Director’s Pick Featured Recurring ) goon/enforcer in Shine’s crew on Empire. One of the most exciting projects I’ve worked on was the full-featured film 53206: Milwaukee as ” Detective Albert ” my Mz Kim Productions. It’s was my first ever law enforcement role which open doors for me on TV One and the ID Channel primetime true crime tv shows. Shout out to Kimberly Z., Stephen C., Joshua N., Tory L. and my entire 53206: Milwaukee movie family. We were selected for both the Las Vegas and Charlotte Black Film Festival in which multi award-winning Hollywood director, producer, writer and community leader Kimberly Zulkwoski won ” Best Director.”
Who are some of the most interesting people you have interacted with? What was that like? Do you have any stories?
Terrence Howard, Taraji P. Henson, Trae Byers, Yazz Bryshere, Jussie Smollett, Forest Whitaker, Rekkhan and Benjamin Oliver. My Empire family lol…Each one these amazing individuals show me love and support on set. I automatically felt like family and learned so much acting wisdom that was a great asset to my acting journey thus far. To be on the set of the number 1 record-breaking prime time show on Fox and a part of it is overwhelming in a phenomenal way. I’m truly blessed in so many ways.
Which people in history inspire you the most? Why?
Bro, there is so many I could write a book lol. Terrence and Taraji P. Henson were the main two that sparked my fire to become an actor. Empire writer and Co-Producer Carlito Rodriguez inspired me because our testimonies are almost the same and the spiritual presence when I first met him in person made me grind harder. One of Empire rising stars Rekkhan is like my brother and my mentor. His words of wisdom are tremendously valuable in my acting career. ICE T, Terry Crews, Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Evans, Chadwick Bostwick, Tom Hanks.But there is one person I will say that is truly the spine of my grind in breaking all limits to achieve greater than greater. My sis, my inspiration an mentor Emmy award-winning history maker Lena Waithe! Lena if you are reading this I love you fam and thank you! Lena is simply amazing on all levels of greatness!
What do you do to “sharpen your craft”? Can you share any stories? When I’m on set, I’m very observant of both the actors and directors. I watch a ton of YouTube videos because there is unlimited knowledge from establishing and well known Hollywood actors.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
By combining my testimony and my now success as a positive reinforcement to the world..especially the youth. My ultimate message is that if you agree to change for the better than, the better will agree to change you for the greater.
Can you share 6 “non-intuitive tips” to succeed in a career in Hollywood? Can you share an example for each?
- Remain humble- Whenever I’m working on set with major stars, I do not get star struck which can lead to being unprofessional.
- 2. Stay consistent- A hundred ” No’s ” can lead you to a ” HUGE YES”! I had auditioned for certain true crime shows and got a lot of knows, but eventually, it transformed into a “Yes.”
- 3.Social Media Presence- My social branding is always positive and informative of my work as an actor. Also, I still show support to those who inspired me by liking and sharing there work.
- 4. Train- No matter how good you think you are as an actor always train and seek wisdom because you can never be too good not to learn.
- 5. Focus- I’ve always been disciplined in my craft and always been a go-getter. I quit my good paying job only to drive 13 hours more than seven times as a background for Empire. For example, because of my focus, determination, and faith, I was upgraded. Focus and conquer your destiny.
- 6. Always put God first- This is the most important one! Look at my testimony.
Some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might see this. 🙂
- Honestly no one specific because I would be honored whoever God puts in my path from this business. I’ve learned that sometimes in life a specific is sometimes a limit in disguise. I would like to say thank you, Dillon, for this interview and you are phenomenal bro! God Bless!