Knowing how to sell is crucial in many jobs. But knowing how to sell yourself is crucial in your career — to land a job, a promotion, a high-profile project.
What does it take to make yourself the person people count on and go to? These five TED Talks will teach you everything you need to know about being persuasive, from standing your ground, to bouncing back from rejection, to having a successful conversation with anyone.
1. Know Your Worth, and Then Ask for It by Casey Brown
As a pricing consultant, Brown is very familiar with the concept of “getting paid what you’re worth.” That being said, she still had to overcome her own fears to discover her value. Here’s how she did it, and how you too can confidently earn what you deserve.
2. What I Learned From 100 Days of Rejection by Jia Jiang
Rejection stings. But what happens when you face it over and over again? Blogger and entrepreneur Jia Jiang realized that once you experience rejection, you become stronger — and just maybe, you can begin to turn a “no” into a “yes.”
3. How to Speak Up for Yourself by Adam Galinsky
Sometimes, we speak up at the wrong times. Other times, we don’t speak up when we should. There’s a balance for when you should make a risky ask or voice a strong opinion — and social psychologist Adam Galinsky has the sweet spot for you.
4. 10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation by Celeste Headlee
Writer and radio host Celeste Headlee knows the importance of interpersonal skills–but do you? Here’s how we can get better at holding conversations, no matter how much we dislike the person we’re speaking to.
5. The Hidden Power of Smiling by Ron Gutman
This may not come as a surprise, but smiling makes you appear likable, confident, and competent. Now that’s something to grin about.
Want to know how else it makes you look and feel awesome? Health entrepreneur Ron Gutman has the answers.
More From The Muse
- 5 Super Short TED Talks for 5 Super Common Work Situations
- 6 TED Talks to Remind You That Even the Most Successful People Face Challenges
- 8 TED Talks That Are So Great You’ll Actually Want to Listen to Them on Your Day Off
Originally published at www.themuse.com on April 29, 2017.
Originally published at medium.com