At this point you have to be wondering what there is that you could be doing that would help you move forward. You don’t have to be in place of pain to want something better for yourself.
You have the time, you may never have this time again. Use it wisely.
Here are 5 steps to help you begin to create the life you dream of:
- Start with the Bigger Picture-What is most important to you? Focus on those things. What do you want to do to make those things better? IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CAN’T, JUST DO IT ANYWAY!
- Set Your Goal-You need a specific goal to work towards. It can’t be vague. Get a piece of paper and write down what you want. Write as if you will receive everything you write down. DON’T HOLD BACK. The HOW is not your problem, meaning, you don’t have to worry how it will happen, you just need a goal. Think BIG, don’t limit yourself. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? (That’s a paraphrase of a great quote, I say it to myself A LOT!)
- Make a plan for your day. Literally, write your day down and in that day make the time you need to move toward your goal. Don’t know where to start? Think of who you know, who could give you some guidance on moving in the right direction? Reach out to them, then from there make a plan. Every small step forward is getting you closer to your goal. Google your goal, read about what other’s have done to get to where you want to be. Forget about that little voice in your head that will try and tell you that you aren’t good enough. I get it, too. The difference between successful people and unsuccessful people is simply, the successful people choose to ignore the voice.
- STAY ON COURSE-until it becomes a habit do something EVERYDAY that will take you another step closer to your goal. YES-even on the weekends.
- When you have a big plan, tell NO ONE! Just work towards it and share your victories along the way, if you want. You don’t need any possible negative comments, and when you fail, it doesn’t seem like such a big deal, you just try again.
Starting big and narrowing down your steps, will help you to see that the goal is more attainable. Expect road blocks, that doesn’t mean you stop, it means try another way. “WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY!” My mom used to say that to me all the time, I’m pretty sure she didn’t come up with it, but I could be wrong. 🙂
Expect Failure-yep, but it is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THE UNIVERSE IS SAVING YOU FROM. (I SAID THAT!), it is another opportunity to try again, and this time, try something new. Think of it this way-if Thomas Edison, et.all, stopped trying to invent the light bulb, where would be now?! According to a Rutgers article siting an interview with Edison in 1890, Edison said, “I have constructed three thousand different theories in connection with the light bulb, each one of them reasonable…I now know several thousand ways that won’t work!“
Christopher Reeves said, “At first, dreams seem impossible, then probable, then inevitable.” This is the screen saver on my Ipad. I have failed so many times, but I just brush myself off and try another way. I am only failing when I stop trying.
If you put your mind to it, and stay the course, there is no way you can fail. You can only be better off than where you are now, and that in itself is a victory!