1. Make the decision that you’re no longer willing to keep putting up with a job that makes you feel any of the below*:
• Dead inside.
• Miserable (because you’re overworked, underpaid and have no social life).
• Like you’ve lost your purpose.
• Like you could punch your boss in the face every day.
• Like you could scream into your pillow when the alarm goes off at stupid o’clock.
* Not an exhaustive list
2. Confront everything that you know needs to change:
• Your negative mindset.
• Your current beliefs about why you are where you are and who’s fault it is (it’s yours FYI, not your parents’, your teacher’s, your ex-boyfriend’s. Start taking some responsibility for yourself).
• The sh*t you’re choosing to put up with day in day out – start standing up for yourself, you are a powerhouse of a woman!
• Saying YES when you mean NO and NO when you mean YES.
• Denying yourself the chance to be happy. Just because everyone else is wallowing in their own misery when it comes to their job, it doesn’t mean you have to.
• Giving your power away to other people. You control you. Do not let other people make your decisions because you’re too scared to make them for yourself.
• Letting what others think of you stop you in your tracks.
3. Set goals and start working towards them:
• Want a new job, even if it’s just something to tide you over whilst you set up your side-hustle? Set a goal to get your CV (resume) fixed up within a certain timeframe and then set another goal to start applying for a certain number of jobs per week.
• Want to set up an online business? There are eleventy-jillion free resources out there to help you do this. Google is your starting point and new best friend here. If you are in a place to invest and want to fast-track your success, hire a Coach!
• Want to retrain in a different field in order to build a business, eventually? Speak to people who are living and breathing the career you’d love, to make sure that you’d love it too. You don’t want to be diving head first into something that could turn out to be a total disaster because you haven’t done your homework.
If all of the above sounds overwhelming but you’re determined to do it by yourself then know this; many people think doing it on their own is a badge of honour.
I think it’s cray cray!
Doing all of that on your own is like trying to eat an elephant without a knife and fork. It’s possible but it will take you forever and you’ll likely wish you hadn’t bothered.
If you’re looking to learn more about how you can ditch your soul-sucking job, you’ll be welcome in my community, aptly named #shewhodares, where I help ambitious, over-achieving women transition from their 9-5 into their dream business, job and life.
Check it out here.