There is no country like the United States of America. It is one of the world’s most diverse countries with people coming from all parts of the world. It is also the world’s largest economy. The contributions it has made to science, technology, politics, and education are humbling. Also, it is home to some of the most beautiful places in the world.
However, there are many strange
things about the US that many people are totally unaware of. To acquaint you
more with this amazing country, here are 25 interesting facts you have probably
never heard before:
- The US Flag was designed by a 17-years-old. Robert G. Heft made it as a school project and got a B-, until Congress accepted the flag design and that grade turned into an A.
- German was the second most widely used language in the US until World War II when it was suppressed. Many newspapers, government offices, and schools used German before that.
- Lake Superior contains enough water to submerge all the land mass of North and South America by one foot.
- Americans consume 3 billion pizzas in one year. It is believed that these pizzas can cover an area of 100 acres. Now that is a lot of pizza!
- America is responsible for many of the modern inventions including air travel. The Wright Brothers from Ohio created the world’s first successful plane.
- GPS is owned and controlled by the Government of United States. It is used by all the countries in the world but it is America that has the switch.
- Americans own 40% of all the guns in the world. The number is higher than the following 25 countries gun ownership combined.
- More than 80% of the Americans use Coupons for Clothing as many stores tender amazing discounts and offerings.
- The US has won the most Olympic medals in the world. This is a combined score of both summer and winter Olympics.
- Alaska is 429 times bigger than the smallest state of the US, Rode Island. However, more people live in Rhode Island than Alaska.
- There are three towns in American with the name Santa Claus.
- Americans use 18% of the world’s energy. It is also believed that one American consumes equal resources as used by 32 Kenyans.
- The US is rightly called the Land of Dreamers as it has the highest percentage of entrepreneurs.
- The US purchased Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million in 1867. It is quite rich in resources and also has the tallest mountain in America, Denali.
- During the Prohibition Period, the US Government poisoned beer and thousands of people died.
- On the Statue of Liberty, the seven rays of the crown represent the seven continents of the world. Each ray is 9 feet long and 150 pounds in weight.
- 81% of the costs of running the International Space Station is provided by the US. Russia, Europe, Canada, and Japan pay the rest.
- As bizarre as it sounds, lawn mowers kill 69 Americans on average each year.
- There is a town in Washington State with treetop bridges designed to help squirrels cross the streets.
- Three of the world’s oldest rivers are situated in the US. These include the French Broad Rivers, the Susquehanna, and the New river.