People I’ve known my entire life have asked me why I’m always so positive. I’m known as one of the “happiest people” at work. They ask me if I ever get mad because they’ve never seen it. And I look at them in awe—because let’s be real, of course, I get mad sometimes. I’m human, too.
I wasn’t always this optimistic. Believe it or not, when I was younger, I was an emotional mess. I’ve had my fair shares of dealing with anxiety and depression. I had extremely low self-confidence with a whirlwind of negative thoughts and limiting beliefs trailing my mind wherever I went. It took a lot for me to get to where I am today (feeling content with life and embracing my imperfections).
Usually, when others ask me why I’m always so happy, I answer, “I’m always happy around my friends.” It’s true. Even if I was in a bad mood, it instantly changes around good company and good vibes. But you can’t always depend on others for your happiness. You have to embrace who you are and find inner peace because at the end of the day, it’s just you.
I always remind myself to stay grateful and live life to the fullest. I try to find humour in everyday life and see beauty in everyday things.
When you master your mind, you control how you live your life. Whatever obstacles life throws at you, how you perceive and react to it determines your day.
What do you do regularly to stay positive and live a joyful and healthy lifestyle?
Here’s what I do:
- I only surround myself with people who lift me higher.
- I practice yoga consistently and meditate occasionally.
- I write to reflect, organize my thoughts and clear my mind.
- I make “Me Time” especially after a long, busy week of people and events.
- I pamper myself once in a while with good food, sleeping in, facials, massages, or anything that brings me joy.
- I volunteer for meaningful projects that make a positive impact in the lives of others.
- I attend networking events, workshops, and conferences regularly and meet a ton of like-minded people; many of whom I meet for coffee to share insights.
- I read books on personal/professional development and self-empowerment.
- I follow many inspiring influencers and thought leaders on social media, read their books or listen to their podcasts to learn from them.
- I invest in myself by enrolling in various courses and programs to gain knowledge and develop new skills.
- I have several mentors that I turn to for advice and they hold me accountable for my actions.
- I try new things because I see everything as a learning experience and an opportunity to grow. (I don’t say “yes” to everything though.)
- I adopt the mindset to live in the present moment and embrace the journey that I am on; everything in life is temporary.
- I let go of anything or anyone that no longer serves me any purpose. I won’t settle for less than what I deserve.
- I dream big, set realistic goals and work hard for what I want.
- I travel to explore different cultures, lifestyles, and to be braver.
- I follow my intuition and my heart to make important decisions.
Self-mastery is key to a fulfilling lifestyle. Next time you catch yourself feeling down, remind yourself this and try to turn those negative thoughts away. If you’re not satisfied with where you are now, brainstorm a list of things that you could be doing differently, to make that change in your life. Then do it. Don’t wait until the new year or when you think things will start to “slow down.” Don’t wait until you’re ready.
“What’s something that you’ve always wanted to do but never did?”
“When was the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone?”