Going vegan and giving priority to your health is amazing. It is a tough decision to make but definitely a healthy one that will benefit. A vegan diet could get a little hard to work on especially when you want to have a gorgeous romantic evening with your loved one. It is hard to get a good recipe even off the internet. But, sometimes adding a little of one of your best wine to your food can do the magic required to make every dinner special.
Here are 15 simple vegan recipes made with wine that will add charm and make your partner smile on your romantic dinner date.
1. Lentils with Wine-Glazed Vegetables: This dish works with both white or red wine and is quite filling and will make a great dinner. The lentil needs to be cooked separately with bay leaf and salt in water. Saute the vegetables with some tomato paste and wine and then combine the cooked lentil with it. The recipe takes just 20-30 minutes to prepare and it can be served with grated tofu.
2. Wine Tofu Biryani: A dish so widely popular that it can steal anyone’s heart has a special vegan version too. Add Tofu and a handful of aromatic spices and some wine that will blend smoothly with the aroma of basmati rice and steal your partner’s heart.
3. Vegan Drunken Spaghetti: Softly roasted and salted almonds can give you the flavor that even a big block of cheese cannot. This is a quick and easy Mediterranean dish to prepare with sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, breadcrumbs, ground pepper, olive oil, and spaghetti. Add some light-bodied Beaujolais with your pasta that will give it some glamorous color and outstanding taste.
4. Vegan Potato Soup: You can save the best start for your romantic dinner with a thick, creamy potato soup that will give all the other soups a run for its taste. Pick some onions, garlic and cook with salt and pepper and add potatoes, stock, thyme, and carrots and stir until the potato gets soft. Season with salt, pepper and add a dash of your favorite white wine for that extra burst of flavor.
5. Sizzling Peppers with Thai Curry Rice and Mushrooms with Sparkling Wine: 1/4th sliced red pepper cups filled with Thai Rice is a typical dish that will need just some vegan alteration with a fish-sauce free paste for the curry and grapeseed oil instead of butter. You can add a small glass of Almond Champagne while preparing the curry for the twist.
6. Xie Xie Tofu Salad with Pickled Vegetables: A tangy flavor rushing over your mouth with every bite of the pickled vegetables are the perfect way to enjoy the complete flavor of Angelo Sosa`s Tofu topped green salad. For the authentic flavor buy Kimchi (traditional Korean pickled vegetables) from the store. You can top the salad with some Merlot which will be a great garnishing for it.
7. Chocolate Cake with Red Wine: Wine and dark chocolate is an overwhelming combination to try. The recipe is very simple and easy to make. The batter for the cake can be prepared with the usual ingredients and include some red wine with it. Also, add cinnamon to counter the flavor of red wine in the cake and set it to bake. It is preferred to make a thin cake and the red wine will add intensity to the batter. The wine flavor can be smoothly sensed in the cake. Similarly, you can make fudge brownies with red wine.
8. Wine and Mushroom Risotto: A piece of crusty bread and a nice bowl of risotto can be an amazing dinner for a cold winter night. Using red wine as the base with rice this risotto needs very less preparation. Start with mild saute garlic and add mushroom and rice to it. When it is a little cooked add the red wine and tomato puree and let it cook. Add some stock and wait until it reduces and serves with some herbs, salt, and pepper.
9. Broccoli Stir Fry in Red Wine: If you are not a big fan of broccoli in your food then red wine is the right addition to make it more delicious. Stir-fried broccoli with red wine will be a blend of bold flavors with some crunchy twist. Prepare the sauce with soya sauce, rice vinegar, red wine and add it to mixed vegetables and broccoli after a mild saute with red chili flakes and pepper. Add some cornstarch paste to the sauce to make it thick.
10. Mushroom and Potatoes in Red Wine Sauce: Season potato wedges with salt, herbs and pepper and dip it in flour and fry them mildly. Then add garlic, onions, carrot, and mushrooms to a pan along with thyme and saute them. Add 1 cup flour and the potatoes and then some red wine. Let it cook and garnish with salt, pepper, and herbs. This can be paired with rice or bread.
11. Vegan Wine Burger: Going vegan does not mean you need to give up burgers. You can get the meaty flavor from ground porcini mushrooms and go for Pomegranate ketchup to add a fruity twist to your burger. Add some Cabernet to the patty and marinate before cooking to enjoy some amazing vegan wine burger.
12. Eggs Poached in White Wine: You can use white wine for making poached eggs instead of water and this will add some amazing flavor to the egg. The egg can be served with bread mildly toasted with olive oil, garnished with herbs and spices or with a simple salad for a lovely dinner. The best part is the white wine can be reused after poaching your eggs.
13. Vegan Chocolate Mousse: This Chocolate mousse will be a delicious end to your dinner and a healthy one too. It is very easy to make and requires only 5 ingredients – Coconut milk (unsweetened), maple syrup or raw honey, cacao powder, cardamom or cinnamon and some desiccated coconut, sea salt, red wine and Cacao nibs to garnish.
14. Vegan Sushi rolls with Walnut – Edamame Crumble: This sushi which tastes best when served warm has a filling made from walnut and edamame that gives its unique taste. If you know how to make sushi then this will be a cakewalk for you to impress your partner with an amazing romantic dinner. The best pairing with these rolls will be Blanc de Blancs to compliment the earthy flavors of the sushi.
15. White Wine Salsa: The best twist you can give to your salsa dip is some white wine. The tangy dip with a twist of the white wine will be one major appetizer dip for your perfect dinner. Well, you can leave the rest of the bottle to take some dinnertime sips.
With the right wine varieties and simple and easy recipes to help you, you can make a vegan dinner every bit as exciting and delicious to get more people to join your club. So, what are you waiting for? Get your saucepans and salad bowls ready for a dazzling vegan ride.
About the Author:
Jessica, a registered dietitian, a wellness guru that loves to read, research and write. A fitness freak who believes in healthy living and doesn’t like to miss her yoga. When not reading she can be found relishing her favorite foods.