A colleague asked me the other day why I am always so positive and optimistic even when it seems things at work are falling apart? It’s easy – I love my job. Because I love what I do I can see beyond a tough day or unexpected turn. Here are 13 reasons why, in no particular order. I hope that some of these resonate with you:
1. My company genuinely cares about the people who use our services and the staff who work hard to achieve great care and want the best experience for both. They are true to their values
2. I love that I’m encouraged to try new things out and be innovative… and if it doesn’t work out I’m supported to learn lessons, dust myself off and try again
3. My boss acknowledges he is not the font of all knowledge; he values and respects my experience and the expertise I bring
4. There is always something to laugh about every single day…laughing is good for my soul and my psychological wellbeing
5. It’s ok for me not to know everything, but boy am I learning so much so quickly
6. The office is the kind of place where it’s ok to have a baby join us for meetings and make everyone coo over him, lifting our spirits
7. I love the people I work with across the company. I work with some awesome, talented, funny, dedicated staff
8. On a day-to-day basis there is a sense that we are working towards a grand, achievable vision and I proudly see us making strides towards it every day and making it a reality
9. Every day is different challenging and exciting. No two days are the same
10. My opinion matters and so does everybody else’s whatever level they are
11. My job gives me the opportunity to have a positive impact on people’s lives and make a difference every day. I go home and I know I made a real difference
12. I aspire to inspire people and I am actually doing this
13. I see people who use our services supported to become the best versions of themselves. It is so rewarding to see this knowing that even if only indirectly, I have had a small part to play in that
Ultimately, when I love my job, I invariably perform better. These 8Ps are the things that matter to me when I reflect on this question:
I spend the largest proportion of my waking day at work. Do I enjoy the company of the people I work with? Do they nurture and support me?
Do I subscribe to the overall vision and purpose of the organisation?
Is my work varied and exciting?
Do I feel my role is adding value to the overall business of the organisation?
Do I see progress that motivates me to keep going?
I cannot sit around and twiddle my thumbs, I like a fast paced environment. Does the work move at a pace I am comfortable with?
Is my role helping me to grow on a personal level?
Does my role allow me to develop professionally and learn experientially?
Why do you love your job?