We’ve all been there — scroll, scroll, scroll — Come on, shock me, surprise me, humour me!
Some more wholesome alternatives — by which I mean, dig a bit and identify what you actually want and seek it. If you’re browsing Facebook to have a nosy at friends, then have a quiet nosy, but if you really want to know what they’re up to, why not just message them?
- Humour — use YouTube to search your favourite comedians or the ‘best of’ moments of your favourite shows
- Inspiration — TED talks, the gazillion podcasts out there (recommend Unmistakable Creative and School of Greatness) or sign up to free courses to learn stuff on CreativeLive, Udemy etc.
- Relax — take a nap!
- Ding! — If you need ‘dings’, learn a language inadvertently by playing Duolingo (from Spanish to Japanese!) or Memrise (which also has flashcards for a range of science, art and history topics)
- Connect — message your friends to catch up in person or ring them up for a chat
- Energise — tunes! I particularly like Deezer for all sorts of playlists
- Stingy eyes? — Close them! Whether meditating, observing your breath, listening to the breeze in the trees and yappy birds, listening to music, don’t always need our eyes open.
- Refuel — Move your butt and get a cuppa. Rather than rush around and put the kettle in the fridge. Slow down and take a moment to chill your monkey brain. Just observe yourself waiting for that kettle to boil — got an itch? What did we use to do with our hands?!
- Curiosity — What are those interests you have? What did you enjoy doing as a kid? What do you do know when you don’t have internet?! Even if they are small inklings — time to follow them.
- Play — Take photos, just for the sake it. Of the little things and the big things. Tell the stories after.
- Bonus — You could actually do some kicking around, some burpees even. Gotta keep sprightly!
Get your FREE copy of the ‘Stop Faffing, Start Doing’ book with 24 chapters on how to declutter your time, your focus and energy for your next adventure.
Sign up to get actionable tools and mindset tricks, as well as regular boosts of inspiration at A Space For.
Join me for online one-to-one coaching at half the price till July.
Originally published at medium.com